Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

lights going dim when you

Visiting Guest

10-25-02, 07:08 AM   #1  
thekeymaker
lights going dim when you

turn the key in the ignition lock. could it be the battery starter and alternator seem fine. also i have a delco freedom battery how can you tell when these things are bad/gone on top of the battery is a little window that you can see and green liquid was in there before but now it's gone any suggestions. Don,

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

10-25-02, 12:06 PM   #2  
Theoretically, when the delco "eye" is dark, the battery is finished (or at least temporarily dead). Only reliable way to test is to have it fully charged and do a load test on it. Couple of choices; jump it (carefully following instructions in your owner's manual)and drive it to the nearest garage (nearly everyone will check your battery and charging system at no charge; they hope to sell you a battery if it's dead) or remove the battery from the vehicle and carry it to your nearest major parts store where they will charge it and then test it. Most of the bigger ones have that capability (AutoZone, Advanced, etc).

You didn't say how old the battery is, but anything over about 3 years or so and it may be on borrowed time anyway.

Visiting Guest

10-25-02, 04:00 PM   #3  
thekeymaker
the Battery i don't know exactly how old it is. but i do know the green thing you used to see is gone the green stuff looked like what they use in a level. i was also told that my battery cables might be corroded so i'm going to try two things clean the battery cables. and try a new Battery. Don,

Visiting Guest

10-25-02, 06:04 PM   #4  
davidf
Years ago my Delco battery charge indicator peep hole was dark so initially I thought the battery was finished until I wiped the peep hole and saw it was green.Wipe it with a rag and recheck the color.

Visiting Guest

10-25-02, 06:17 PM   #5  
Joe_F
If you can't get the green eye back, it's wiped. Dead cell.

If the cables are questionable, clean them first. If that fails, replace them.

Also check the alternator output closely with a digital meter as noted in my "The Basics" post. If it fails that, replace the alternator with a Delco rebuilt.

Visiting Guest

10-25-02, 07:01 PM   #6  
thekeymaker
Joe will do i'm thinking of taking it to Sears and putting in a Die Hard Battery anyone know who makes the batteries for Sears ?

Visiting Guest

10-25-02, 07:04 PM   #7  
thekeymaker
David the Whole battery is wiped Clean the hole is as clear as a piece of Glass is. and thanks for the Help Don,

10-25-02, 07:39 PM   #8  
Go to Sears and have your charging system checked and get a new battery there. I just replaced my Sears Die Hard in my 91 Merc...it lasted 8.5 years!!! That's not the general rule for batteries, usually 5 years max, but I'm under the hood constantly maintaining. Have the little donuts installed to prevent corrosion at the battery terminals. DONT let them replace the ends of your battery cables with those cheap and unreliable emergency cable ends/clamps. Spend the few extra bucks for complete original type battery cables if you need them. Also whether the green eye is green or not is not a real indicator of the battery's insides. I've seen green eyes before and no start conditions. Good Luck

Visiting Guest

10-25-02, 08:23 PM   #9  
jetman1979
green eye

The green eye only tells the condition of one cell so the one next to it might be shorted and it will show green.

10-25-02, 08:25 PM   #10  
I work at a GM dealer AC Delco would be my last battery choice.Acid leaks at the positive post.

Visiting Guest

10-25-02, 09:30 PM   #11  
thekeymaker
ok so does the green mean if the battery is good or shorted.

Visiting Guest

10-25-02, 09:41 PM   #12  
jetman1979
green eye

The green eye means good but dont go by that because I just replaced my sons battery that would show green but had a dead cell.If the battery is 3 years or older chance is it is on its last leg.
I would charge my sons delco and it would show green eye but if you let it sit for 8 hours car would not start.I dont know what you want to spend but I think Optima makes a damm good battery it lasts 3 times a regular battery and will work even with a hole in it or mounted upside down.
I had one in my 89 Chevy I had it 10 years and traded the truck in with it.
I will get another when my stock battery goes belly up in about 3 years.

Visiting Guest

10-25-02, 11:15 PM   #13  
josh1
OPTIMA batteries are top notch. legend has it, due to their construction, if a bullet is shot through the battery, it will still function. Sold me on one! have a 6 year warranty , although ive had mine only 1, still going strong. Also they dont gas off or leak at all= no rusty battery tray -Josh

Visiting Guest

10-26-02, 06:38 AM   #14  
thekeymaker
Hey Cool anyone know where to buy these optima batteries since Sears has a 3 year warranty and these have a 6 year warranty i'll opt for the optima. also you can shoot through a Master Padlock and it would still be Locked. Don,

Visiting Guest

10-26-02, 08:22 AM   #15  
josh1
you can get them at pep boys. However you can also order them from catalogs or probably online stores. they are allowed to be shipped by air, being so well sealed. -Josh

Visiting Guest

10-26-02, 03:21 PM   #16  
Joe_F
Sears batteries are either Exide or Johnson Controls. Both are lackluster. JC is an OEM supplier for Ford and other OEMs.

I find that Delcos last the longest, leak the least, charge the fastest and fit the best in GM applications.

10-26-02, 09:20 PM   #17  
Go to www.optimabatteries.com for Optima battery info.
Sears are excellant for their price and mine came with a 100 month warranty. The last Die Hard battery I replaced was 8.5 years old! You'll never get that from an AC Delco, I've had too many new vehicles with those lead weights and their green eyes.

P.S. Warranties dont really do much people any good, even the extended ones...sit down one day and figure out the price of a new replacement battery after your warranty has been prorated and you'll find a lot of times the cost of the new replacement you buy is more than the cost of a regular 36 month battery if you changed it every 36 months. I just dont care to change my battery every 36 months. Why would any business cut you a break with a proactive warranty?

Visiting Guest

10-27-02, 05:29 AM   #18  
Joe_F
You are right about the prorating....

This hurts us guys in the "trade" more than not. Let me illustrate.

In December 1997, I bought a Delco battery for my 89 Cavalier for my grandfather. It went bad this month. I believe it was a six year battery.

If I were to bring it back under warranty, it would cost me MORE than the parts store would charge me outright, because they do not charge me list price. However, the warranty is calculated off of current list price.

However, my experience with Exide/Sears/Johnson Controls is that they are leakers and don't fit right (nor look right) in my GM applications.

The original battery in the 89 Cavalier lasted until 1997 . Not bad considering months would go by that my grandfather wouldn't drive the car, drove it infrequently, or left the lights on in 2 degree weather (numerous times). It came back to life many times simply with a jump start .

10-27-02, 09:43 AM   #19  
Joe, this is a good subject and you are one that I enjoy picking your brain. You always have a good reply. I will admit right now I have a Die Hard that may have a leak, it's in my Dodge truck, but its also old. I have found that putting a battery mat under the battery has helped tremendously on my Merc. I will try one on the truck too. Oh by the way...I was born in New York so I can be a bit assertive also. Regards-Stevo

Visiting Guest

10-27-02, 12:02 PM   #20  
thekeymaker
Joe might want to talk with Davo about the delco batteries ask him why they leak etc and get his comments on why he won't buy one and josh1 thanks for the tip on the optima batteries found a place that they sell them and they do have the one i need optima is made by johnson controls it seems funny that both companies that are in the same town do the same Bullet Test why would someone want to put a Bullet thru a Bttery or a Lock. also for the other people reading this here is optima batteries website. http://www.optimabatteries.com also Josh how would you say your optima starts your vehicle then a Regular battery Does. Don, P.S. i put a sears weather handler in it for now until i get the optima i think i solved the problem never again will i put a Delco battery in my vehicle. Don,

Search this Thread