out of time

Old 10-25-02, 08:20 AM
rocket1
Visiting Guest
out of time

I AM WORKING ON A 1993 CHEVY LUMINA Z-34. THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE TIMING BELT HAS SLIPPED DUE TO A PULLEY THAT I GUESS YOU SAY WALLERD OUT IN THE CENTER ALLOWING THE BELT TO TRAVEL FROM SIDE TO SIDE ALONG IT'S PATHWAY WEARING IT OUT ON THE SIDES UNTILL IT WAS PRACTICLY WORN THRUOGH . HOWEVER IT DID NOT BREAK AND THE MOTOR STILL TURNED OVER . I AM AWARE THAT THERE COULD BE INTERNAL DAMAGE I'M JUST HOPEFULL THAT WE'LL GET LUCKY , SINCE THIS JOB JUST HAPPEN'S TO BE FOR MY GIRLFRIEND. WHERE I'M AT ON THIS IS THE PULLEY HAS BEEN REPLACED AND A NEW BELT. I'M GOING TO PUT IT TOGETHER AND THEN WE'LL SEE WHAT WEV'E GOT . THE TIMING PROCEDURE IS WHERE I'M FEELING THE PRESSURE , I KNOW THAT THIS MUST BE DONE CORRECTLY AND I DO NOT WANT TO MAKE ANY MISTAKES ON THIS PART OF THE REPAIR ! I DO HAVE A MANUAL BUT I REALLY DON'T CARE MUCH FOR IT AND I DO CONSIDER MYSELF A PRETTY DECENT DO-IT YOURSELFER BUT I'M LOOKING FOR THE BEST ADVISE AND ANY HELPFULL HINT'S BEFORE I PROCEED. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY ADVISE THERE MIGHT BE ! SINCERLY ROCKET1.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-02, 11:58 AM
Group Moderator
First off, kill the caps; no need to "shout" here.

Check Joe Cool's autolibrary link for info:

http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual%...delLookup.html

Depends on what engine is in your car; you could have bent valves if the belt skipped teeth. Gates.com only lists one engine for the Lumina (3.4L V6), but I think there are other engines you could have. If it is the 3.4L, Gates shows it as a valve-bender, so follow replacement procedures carefully to avoid serious damage (assuming there is none already).

Old 10-25-02, 09:02 PM
i would suggest you buy a gates timing belt manual gives r &r procedure for most vehicles along with proper timing alignment procedure, the 3.4 does require special tools to align up the cams you will have to remove upper intake and valve covers to install tool on flat spots on cams, may be more of an investment than what you want to spend, and may just want to take to shop and have done. or you may check and see if its rentable at any parts stores.