blue smoke/soot 88 mustang

Old 10-25-02, 10:38 AM
MicheleLom55
Visiting Guest
Question blue smoke/soot 88 mustang

my 1988 mustang with a newly rebuilt/installed 4 cylinder engine has suddenly started blowing blue smoke and I have found a black soot-like substance on the ground by the exhaust pipe. What area should I check for trouble?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-02, 06:26 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Blue smoke is indicative of oil burning...probably a poorly done rebuild .

Old 10-25-02, 09:03 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
A failed MAP sensor can also cause the same symptoms. When the MAP fails, the ECA (computer) defaults to full rich. When the engine runs at full rich, the cylinders walls can be washed down with fuel. This has an effect on piston ring seal & can cause oil burning.

Perform the EEC-IV quick test as outlined at the URL below. Let us know what you find.

http://www.dalidesign.com/hbook/index4.html

Old 10-26-02, 03:32 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If you had someone install the engine for you, I'd be right back there and have them rectify the condition.

Old 10-26-02, 08:23 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I agree. If you paid to have the engine installed, it's the installer's problem, not yours.

Old 10-26-02, 08:52 PM
KUZBRO
Visiting Guest
Oilm is getting in the combustion chamber somehow,...could be through the valve stems or piston rings. If you are at home under a valve cover, take it off and see how things are operating under there while the engine is running. take a close look at the valve stem seals if your engine has them. Follow up by removing the spark plugs and seeing if possibly only one is coated with oil. What about the oil level in the crankcase? PCV valve,..don't forget the small stuff. And last but not least like the other dudes said,...if you paid to have it fixed,...well apparently it aint. Good luck.