Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

thumping...

Visiting Guest

10-25-02, 11:07 AM   #1  
jmcgee
thumping...

I have a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2L and I can hear a thumping noise when I turn the steering wheel. It sounds louder when I apply the brakes and it's most noticeable when I'm parking. I took it to get it checked and they looked at the brakes but said the brakes were fine. Do you have any idea what it could be?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-25-02, 06:25 PM   #2  
Joe_F
2000 vehicle. Should be covered by the GM warranty...let them handle it.

Visiting Guest

10-26-02, 03:36 PM   #3  
rljsmith2001
Take it back to the dealership as it should be under warranty and tell them everything you put in your post. I think by what you described you have something loose in the front suspension or steering system (ball joint, tie rod, sway bar link or bushing, etc). Good luck

IA

10-27-02, 06:47 AM   #4  
Sounds like it needs the intermediate shaft lubed. Seen a lot of these. There is a bulletin for this complaint. Dealer has the bulletin and the kit. Should be covered under warranty if under mileage.

Visiting Guest

10-28-02, 04:17 PM   #5  
jmcgee
Unfortunately it's not under warranty anymore. I've got 45,000 miles on it. Would the dealership still take care of it since there is a bulletin on it?

Visiting Guest

10-29-02, 04:01 AM   #6  
Joe_F
They might as you are not that far over the mileage.

Give it a shot. If you get trouble at the dealer level, get on the blower to GM's 1-800 line and make a little noise.

Visiting Guest

10-30-02, 07:42 AM   #7  
87QuestTSI
Definitely suspension or braking related, but let the warranty cover it. Get a rental vehicle and beat that while your car gets fixed.

Visiting Guest

12-16-02, 11:27 AM   #8  
jmcgee
I got it into the dealer I bought it from which was a Ford Dealer. They said it's ABS problems and that it needs to go to a Pontiac dealership for the proper machinery. Anybody have ideas what it could be with the ABS before I take it to Pontiac and they start charging?

Visiting Guest

12-16-02, 11:31 AM   #9  
Joe_F
There have been some suggestions given here....I would investigate those first.

Check alldata.com for any bulletins/symptoms that match your problem. Approach the dealer with those highlighted on your printout.

Search this Thread