thumping...

Old 10-25-02, 11:07 AM
jmcgee
Visiting Guest
Unhappy thumping...

I have a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2L and I can hear a thumping noise when I turn the steering wheel. It sounds louder when I apply the brakes and it's most noticeable when I'm parking. I took it to get it checked and they looked at the brakes but said the brakes were fine. Do you have any idea what it could be?

Thanks

Old 10-25-02, 06:25 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
2000 vehicle. Should be covered by the GM warranty...let them handle it.

Old 10-26-02, 03:36 PM
rljsmith2001
Visiting Guest
Take it back to the dealership as it should be under warranty and tell them everything you put in your post. I think by what you described you have something loose in the front suspension or steering system (ball joint, tie rod, sway bar link or bushing, etc). Good luck

Old 10-27-02, 06:47 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sounds like it needs the intermediate shaft lubed. Seen a lot of these. There is a bulletin for this complaint. Dealer has the bulletin and the kit. Should be covered under warranty if under mileage.

Old 10-28-02, 04:17 PM
jmcgee
Visiting Guest
Unfortunately it's not under warranty anymore. I've got 45,000 miles on it. Would the dealership still take care of it since there is a bulletin on it?

Old 10-29-02, 04:01 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
They might as you are not that far over the mileage.

Give it a shot. If you get trouble at the dealer level, get on the blower to GM's 1-800 line and make a little noise.

Old 10-30-02, 07:42 AM
87QuestTSI
Visiting Guest
Definitely suspension or braking related, but let the warranty cover it. Get a rental vehicle and beat that while your car gets fixed.

Old 12-16-02, 11:27 AM
jmcgee
Visiting Guest
I got it into the dealer I bought it from which was a Ford Dealer. They said it's ABS problems and that it needs to go to a Pontiac dealership for the proper machinery. Anybody have ideas what it could be with the ABS before I take it to Pontiac and they start charging?

Old 12-16-02, 11:31 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
There have been some suggestions given here....I would investigate those first.

Check alldata.com for any bulletins/symptoms that match your problem. Approach the dealer with those highlighted on your printout.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: