dodge monaco heater problem

Old 10-25-02, 02:19 PM
Huxley
Visiting Guest
dodge monaco heater problem

the heat smells like antifreeze went I turn it on and if I add water the smell decreses but it is winter here so every time i add water I check to see if it is still strong anuff to keep it from freezing. What else can be done?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-02, 02:35 PM
You probably have a leaking heater core, or a connectiong close to it. Replace the offending part and you'll have clear hot air and you won't have to add any more antifreeze.

Old 10-28-02, 06:32 AM
Huxley
Visiting Guest
heater core leak

Would that stop leak stuff help any and does that stuff realy work?

Old 10-28-02, 07:35 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No. There is no goop in a can. Will cause more problems down the road.

Replace the heater core. Be careful about spending money on these later 1988-1992 Monaco/Premier models. They are collosal bombs from the get go.

Old 10-28-02, 10:23 AM
Huxley
Visiting Guest
heater core

you're right Joe the last heater core lasted about a year and a half that why I did not want to buy another one. I have heard they are not good cars the Lord has blessed me I've had it 7 years bought it used and have not spent a great deal on it.

Old 10-29-02, 10:06 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
7 years out of one of these without any trouble is major league home run.

These cars had poor sales and were phased out in favor of the LH body cars which ride better, are bigger and have better quality.

Parts for these 88 to 92 Monacos and Premiers have gone up as they are quite old now and have weird parts which are typically not the same as other Chrysler models of that vintage. Combined with the fact that the 3.0 engine used in some years is a Volvo engine and the 2.5 is a Renault based/sourced/influenced engine and you're 0 for 2

The core could be defective if it only lasted a year and a half.

Old 10-30-02, 01:58 PM
Huxley
Visiting Guest
Parts

Everything you say is right Joe. The parts for this car must contain gold in each part because they are priced like they do. The cheapest heater core I could find started at 85 dollars and some went as high as 130. Now that scary just for the heater core. I'm thinking if a major part were to go out I might have to part ways with it. I like the car but when something brakes your wallett will scream.