Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sunfire- Brakes grabbing on hard stops

Visiting Guest

10-25-02, 05:42 PM   #1  
CrAzy LEgz
Sunfire- Brakes grabbing on hard stops

Hello all! I have a 96 Sunfire GT, 2.4L, 5 speed manual; Leaving work today I noticed for the first time that the brakes (seemed like front) started grabbing as I was making harder stops. In other words, the brakes seemed to lock then release several times a second instead of just applying even pressure. The prob seemed to go away as I drove it (caustiously) a little further.
I haven't jacked it up yet to have a look at the brakes, but I was wondering if anyone else might have a suggestion. I'm suspecting power booster or check valve.

Btw, it was raining heavily today but not when I had the prob.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-25-02, 06:18 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Does the vehicle have ABS?

Visiting Guest

10-26-02, 09:51 AM   #3  
CrAzy LEgz
Thanks for the reply

Yes it does.

Visiting Guest

10-26-02, 11:12 AM   #4  
CrAzy LEgz
One more thing...

Also, this was very noticable difference in the braking of the car, not just the ABS I get under normal hard braking.

Visiting Guest

10-26-02, 03:08 PM   #5  
Joe_F
Could be an ABS problem or a hydraulic one. ABS systems require specialized tools, service procedures and knowledge to service correctly.

It could also be clogged rubber flex lines which act as check valves and make it stick.

Suggest professional service on this one.

Visiting Guest

10-26-02, 04:04 PM   #6  
CrAzy LEgz
I'm afraid your'e probably right, thanks for the response. I'll post back when I find out what it is.

Search this Thread