Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Brakes

Visiting Guest

10-26-02, 05:27 AM   #1  
zinger
Brakes

Changed brake pads recently on 2000 F-150, Front pads looked almost new, back pads were almost down to metal. Why the big difference?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-26-02, 03:24 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Ineffective rear brakes, defective proportioning valve, possible broken hardware in the rear.

Visiting Guest

10-27-02, 03:05 AM   #3  
zinger
brakes

Thanks Joe, Sorry I used the wrong wording. This is on the front only. I meant the inside pads were down to metal and the outside pads looked new. Thanks again for your quick resonse.

Visiting Guest

10-27-02, 04:13 AM   #4  
BobQ
That's because the calipers aren't sliding back and forth properly. Whether yours uses the long shouldered retaining bolts or the rubber retainers,THEY probably need replacing and the areas they fit into need cleaning and lubricating(never seize). If the calipers can't slide easily and center themselves when the brakes are applied, you'll get this type of uneven wear.

Visiting Guest

10-27-02, 04:47 AM   #5  
zinger
brakes

Thanks Bob, I'll check on that this afternoon.

Visiting Guest

10-27-02, 05:18 AM   #6  
Joe_F
I agree with the other posters.

IA

10-27-02, 07:00 AM   #7  
One thing, if you use "never-seize", you are asking for more trouble than you have now. Nearly all brake manufacturers require the use of a silicone based lubricant for lubrication. Almost all brakes done with "anti-seize" that I have seen, have been nearly glued together upon removal. It causes more problems than it fixes. Make sure to use the correct lube.

Search this Thread