Muffler falling off

Old 10-26-02, 06:29 AM
Unhappy Muffler falling off

Hi - I have a 1990 Honda Accord. I went out this morning and noticed that my muffler had almost completely fallen off the car. I was on my way to look at new cars, so this is pretty bad timing. I don't want to spend a lot of money on repairs on a car I won't be keeping for more than another week or two. Is there a way to reattach the muffler temporarily or am I destined to go back to the muffler shop?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-02, 06:35 AM
Group Moderator
Depends on what's causing the sag. A broken hanger could be remedied fairly easily, but if the exhaust pipe has rusted through you're probably stuck. Only way to find out is to get down and have a look at what the root problem is. Go with the cheapest fix you can get if the car is history.

Old 10-26-02, 06:46 AM
Hi - Its definitely the exhaust pipe that's rusted through. I don't even know how I'll get it to the shop like it is now because the muffler is still hung by the back, but dragging at the front, if you know what I mean. The exhaust is smoking really bad. Do you know if its dangerous to drive it like this? I just want to bring it to the shop, so I'm not going more than 7 or 8 miles.

Thanks for your help!

Old 10-26-02, 10:11 AM
Group Moderator
Biggest danger would be having it fall off and get run over by another car and cause an accident. If you absolutely have to drive it [I would recommend having it towed, of course], you may be able to secure the loose parts with coat hanger wires [recommended for short distance emergencies only].

Old 10-26-02, 03:11 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Agree with TowGuy.

Alternatively, with the exhaust stone cold, just yank and pull on it and it will probably break loose. Put it in the trunk.

Go to any exhaust shop and ask them to do the bare minimum if you are trading it in in a week. Perhaps they can save the pipe and only change what's rotted.

Be forewarned that they will probably deduct money off a trade if the rest of the exhaust is in poor shape.

Old 10-26-02, 05:38 PM
thanks

Thanks for the responses - The muffler did come completely off and I threw it in the trunk. I wound up trading the car in for something newer this afternoon. They definitely take something off a trade-in when the muffler is in the trunk and not on the car. I'm just happy I don't have to deal with it anymore. Thanks again!

Search this Thread