Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

98 Windstar power steering whine

AR

10-26-02, 02:48 PM   #1  
98 Windstar power steering whine

I have a 98 Ford Windstar 6 cylinder. About a year ago the power steering pump started to go out. My mechanic replaced the pump, with an aftermarket brand. It never broke in to make the noise (whine) go away. Hence replacement by the manufacturer. Same problem, only slightly better. Then a new Ford pump. along with the special bleeding procedure. Still no luck. Then a special conditioner fluid recommended by someone on the cartalk forum. Still has a whine to it.
By the way, my mechanic, who services my small company fleet, only charged me for the original pump & labor, the cost difference to the Ford pump, and the conditioner. He's out more than me, so i know we're not going for a ride.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-26-02, 03:01 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Ford power steering pumps are notorious groaners, noise makers and virtual junk. Always been problematic.

There have been a few bulletins on power steering pump and rack and pinion issues on these Windstars. Have the mechanic check with the Ford dealer for the details of the bulletins.

Search this Thread