73 International scout II

Old 10-26-02, 03:07 PM
73 International scout II

Runs normal when cool but runs rough after 15 miles or good warm up period. Replaced coil, points and condenser, spark plugs and wires, air filter, all vacuum hoses. Checked fuel filter, fuel pressure, and fixed all exhaust leaks. Any one have any new ideas? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-02, 03:13 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Pitch the points for a Petronix electronic conversion. Points are pesky and useless, not to mention outdated and troublesome over electronic ignition.

Condition of carburetor? Last time it saw a rebuild?

Old 10-26-02, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the reply. It's been several years since the carburetor has had work. What would go wrong in a carburetor after it warms up? After all of this work, it runs great when it is cool. a petronix ignition system would be nice but like everything else for a scout, hard to find. My 56 ford has a vacuum advance system for the distributor. What would this scout use? Centrifugal force?

Old 10-26-02, 03:27 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Should be easy to find the Petronix for the Scout. I believed they used either a Delco Remy or Motorcraft system depending on the engine. Just use one for that year DR or Motorcraft.

Carburetor might have float issues, sticky needle and seat, gum, varnish, stale fuel, etc.

If it hasn't seen service in a long time, now's the time.

Old 10-26-02, 03:31 PM
Thanks Joe, I'll get back to work on it.

Old 10-27-02, 12:24 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Could also have a Prestolite distributor. Gotta love IH. They were nearly as bad as AMC. They used whatever system was cheapest or most available at the time.

I agree with Joe that an electronic ignition conversion woulld be best, but properly gapped points should not cause a problem when the engine is warm assuming the condensor & coil are OK. I suspect you have a carburetor problem. It could be something simple like a sticking choke blade or bad choke pull off or it could be an internal problem. In either case, it'll pay you to pull the carb & rebuild it.

Let us know what happens.