Please Help

Old 10-26-02, 09:41 PM
DeadOnTheStreet
Visiting Guest
Question Please Help

Hi Everyone.
My mother has a 2000 Honda Passport, 2wd, V6 engine. Just last week, the "check engine" indicator light came on. I had no clues what was going on, so I went around and asked a few quite reputable mechanics about the problem. They suspected the problem to be in the emission control system. To be honest, I have no clues whatsoever still. I have spent the whole Saturday doing some tune-ups (oil change, spark plugs change, fluid changes), but the "check engine" light still came on after I have done all that. The engine was very hard to start before the tune up, and sometimes the engine stopped when waiting at traffic lights. Even after tune-ups and everything, I still have the same problems.
I would really want to help my mother fix her car, but I don't know where to start and what to do. I called the dealer and they said it would cost $65 just to do the diagnosis. Have you all got any clues?
Thank you very much for helping.

Dustin

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-02, 12:04 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Autozone will connect a scan tool & retrieve the trouble codes for free. Let us know what trouble codes are stored & we'll help you find the problem.

Old 10-27-02, 05:24 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Alternatively, this is a 2000 vehicle and should be covered by the OEM factory warranty.

Old 10-28-02, 12:47 PM
DeadOnTheStreet
Visiting Guest
Hi Knuckles and Joe ,
I have followed your advices, but Autozone does not do a scan test to detect the error codes. I am planning on trying Advance Auto Parts, Western Auto, Napa, etc. tomorrow. I will list the error codes up here, and I hope you all can help me understand what they mean. Joe, unfortunately, my mother's Passport is about 1,000 miles over the limited mileage allowed by the warranty.

Old 10-28-02, 12:51 PM
I'm sure most dealers will not charge you if you're only 1000 miles over. Plus, this is most likely an emmision problem which has a longer warranty. Also, no 2000 Honda should experience hard starting....

Old 10-28-02, 10:15 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Autozone DOES offer a free diagnostic check. See the URL below for details

http://www1.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/in_our_stores/check_engine.jsp

BUT, I agree with Joe F & the others. Honda should take care of this problem as 'goodwill'. Call & gripe to your Honda Zone Rep. if you encounter resistance at the dealership level.

Old 11-03-02, 11:48 AM
DeadOnTheStreet
Visiting Guest
Follow Up on "Check Engine"

Hi Knuckle, Joe, and the rest of DIY forum. Knuckle, I've copied the link you gave me and printed the whole thing about Autozone doing a free scan test and brought it back to the autozone where I was turned down the first time. It turned out the guy was on his first day, and he wasn't familiar with Autozone's policy. Anyway, I've finally have the time to bring my car to Autozone again for a diagnostic scan on my mother's Passport. The error code was as followed:

P1404 : IAT - B circuit malfunction / EGR temperature sensor circuit

The technician who did the scan for me had erased the code, so the "check engine" light indicator no longer stays on when the engine is on (At least for the last few hours, it hasn't). However, I still feel the engine isn't running as it used to be before the indicator came on. The engine very often stopped on me during traffic light, and it feels a little shaky at times.

Please help me understand what the trouble code listed above really means, and what I need to do in order to improve my engine performance. I would be afraid to let my mother drive it and it stops in the middle of the street on her.

Thank you all for the help.

P.S. This forum is REALLY awesome. Much more interesting and helpful than I could ever imagine. I'm wondering if other DIY forums are as awesome as this automotive forum.

Old 11-03-02, 10:09 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Autozone's DTC definitions leave a lot to be desired.

DTC P1404 means that the EGR valve stuck closed when it should have opened.

It's probably something simple like excessive carbon buildup on the EGR pintle. Pull the valve & clean it. Let us know what you find.

Old 11-04-02, 07:46 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I agree with Knuckles.

This would also explain the cutting out at stoplights and the rest of the stalling quandaries.

Old 11-05-02, 08:21 PM
DeadOnTheStreet
Visiting Guest
Mr. Knuckles and Mr. Joe: After work today, I took my mother's Passport out for a test drive, and the "check engine" light came back on. I tried to locate the EGR valve so I can clean it, but I was having troubles finding it. Please guide me in the right direction. The manual did not show its location. Also, should I bring it back to Autozone for another diagnostic scan? I will not have to work this weekend, so I am planning on doing as much as I can to fix it for my mother. Please give me as much information as you all can so I can be well informed. Thank you very much for all the help so far.

Dustin

Old 11-06-02, 10:07 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have a look at the emissions diagram under the hood. It should show the basic locations of all the components.

Alternatively, just ask any Honda dealer's parts department for a printout from the parts book and that should net the location too.

This thing, err Honda is nothing more than a rebadged Isuzu product, so an Isuzu dealer should be able to help if a Honda dealer won't.

Search this Thread