Broke off bolt Help!

Old 10-27-02, 09:24 AM
oceanblueeyes
Visiting Guest
Broke off bolt Help!

When I was removing my old water pump off of my 1987 Ford 150 302, I was down to my last bolt and it broke off, it appears to be rusted, have no idea how much is left in mount. The bolt is long but it is the only bolt like this so, I cannot compare to see how long it should be.

Is there any way that I can get this bolt out. Any suggestions as to what I should do?

Your help is appreciated as I am in the middle of doing this and need your help quickly.

Thanks,

Ocean

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-02, 10:39 AM
BobQ
Visiting Guest
Is the pump still on with the broken partof the bolt frozen into it or is the pump off with the threaded part of the bolt broken off flush with the surface behind it?

Old 10-27-02, 11:35 AM
oceanblueeyes
Visiting Guest
BobQ

Bob,

The water pump is off. the bolt that is broken is not broken off flush with the surface, it is up in the hole.

The bolt that is broken is the only one like it, the parts stores dont have it, will I have to go to Ford place to get it?

Sorry I missed your post, have been trying to locate Eases Out tool. What is your suggestion?

Old 10-27-02, 01:18 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Go to Ford and get the right bolt. Most parts stores won't have the right bolt...it's probably specialized/unique size.

It won't be much from Ford and they can find the right one in their parts catalogs in a jiffy.

Old 10-27-02, 01:29 PM
oceanblueeyes
Visiting Guest
Joe F.

I have tried all day to get the bolt out with two different types of Easy Outs. It isnt budging......what do I need to do?
Please help!! The broken bolt is up in the hole about two inches.

Old 10-27-02, 01:44 PM
Sounds like it's time to remove the timing cover

Larry

Old 10-28-02, 03:37 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with Larry. Based on your other post (please do not split posts....keep one post per vehicle and use your reply button so everyone can follow along), the broken bolt seems way in there and you'll be drilling forever if you can get it out

Take the timing cover off for better access. If the timing chain has slack in it, now's an EXCELLENT time to replace it along with the gears to avoid future headaches down the road if you plan on keeping this horse for any length of time.