Trouble code

Old 10-28-02, 08:44 AM
northernmi
Visiting Guest
Trouble code

I have a 1987 Chevy C10 pick-up. It has a 350cid with throttle body. When first started and still cold, it has enough power to light up the tires if I wished to. Atfter it gets warmed up, sitting at an idle, it will cycle up and down in rpms, almost stalling on the low side, going down the road, it feels like I have a four cyl under the hood, and after giving it generous throttle to compensate for lack of power, then backing off, the check engine light comes on. I can shut the truck off, wait 30 seconds, start it up and it will run better briefly until the whole event starts over again.
I checked the diagnostics, and got a code 43. The code book I had available to me listed a few reasons. One being TPS adjustment, another being a knock sensor, and yet another blaming the ESC. The erratic idle would lead me to believe the TPS is the culprit, but I thought bad was bad, not an intermittent problem.

The truck has had in the last year and 1000 miles,,,new radiator, cyl heads, plugs wires filters hoses alternator starter battery brakes and a few other small odds and ends. My brother in law got tired of putting new stuff on it and gave up. He told me to just take the thing...lol. It aint pretty, but he put so much money into it, and since I needed a wood hauler...

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated..thanx

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-02, 09:20 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
There is no C10 pickup in 1987. It is an R Series (basically the old C&K square style carried over).

Start with the links and posts in my signature file, most notably autolibrary.org.

Old 10-28-02, 10:56 AM
northernmi
Visiting Guest
Joe, your link tells me that my vehicle is too old, and no info is available, and Knuckles code site has an error message....

Old 10-28-02, 01:08 PM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
could the c-10 be a s10 pickup.

Old 10-28-02, 04:51 PM
northernmi
Visiting Guest
Well, let's put it this way, it is a full size Chevy half ton.

Old 10-29-02, 03:58 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Try another year. A 350 vin K motor is basically the same throughout the years.