quick question about fuel injection

Old 10-30-02, 02:22 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
quick question about fuel injection

just got back from helping my stranded daughter who accused dad of leaving her with a dead battery. everything electrical worked fine when i got there and it started not badly but it almost seemed like it was flooded.

can you flood a fuel injected car?? it's an 95 Astro with a 4.3 engine in it.

i was just wondering if maybe she hit the gas pedal when she got into the van and partly flooded it , other than that i'm at a loss why it wouldn't start for her but 10 minutes later when i showed up it started albet rough

thanks

Old 10-30-02, 02:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
It is possible to run "rich" like flooding, but can't be flooded by pumping the gas like in the past. There is no accellerator pump to squirt fuel and flood it. Extra gas when cold is metered by the computer; pumping the gas does nothing but move some mechanical linkages

Old 10-30-02, 03:14 PM
G
thanks for the info , i didn't think so but it was a thought ,,, just got back from rescuing her again ,, this time listened for the fuel pump and no noise came from it so i guess it's something to do with that ,, oh well ,, she was at a good place for it to crap out though ,,, Canadian Tire parking lot ,,,,,

Old 10-30-02, 04:06 PM
davidf
Visiting Guest
I heard a car expert on a car radio show say that you can flood the fuel injected engine very easily just by trying to start a car several times and a person should just leave the car alone after trying to start the engine several times and have it towed to a garage otherwise dammage will occur from flooding and if my memory is right he also said gas will get into the oil with fuel injected cars unlike carb. cars. Interesting question.

Old 10-30-02, 04:34 PM
otter_
Visiting Guest
It is possible

to flood a fuel injected engine after repeated short start attempts.

We see them get towed in at about -30.

Old 10-30-02, 06:11 PM
bledsoe
Visiting Guest
Aside from flooding the engine after repeated starting attempts, you're soaking your plugs in fuel! just happened to me the other day.

Old 10-31-02, 04:49 AM
Group Moderator
Right, I should have expanded more on that. Each time you hit the start there would be fuel introduced which would be similar to pumping the gas pedal on a carbureted vehicle.

Old 10-31-02, 09:12 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yes you can flood a fuel injected car. Essentially as with any engine, you wash the cylinders walls with fuel. Gas "ain't" a good lubricant.

Change the oil and filter if you suspect the engine was flooded.

If the vehicle is continually experiencing hard starting, it should be checked out for trouble.

Old 10-31-02, 11:57 PM
S
Another tidbit about fuel injection.

The computer has a program in it that is called the Clear Flood Mode. For the computer to activate the Clear Flood Mode it needs to see information that is out of the norm. This abnormal information is the sensor on the throttle reporting to the computer that the throttle is being held wide open, along with a crank signal to the starter. This combo of information causes the computer to respond by reducing, and in some cases completely shutting off, the fuel injectors. This process allows air only to enter the cylinder and dry out the abundance of gas. As the correct balance of air and fuel return you will feel the engine start to fire at which point the throttle can be released and the computer will return to normal fuel delivery.

Old 11-01-02, 04:12 AM
Group Moderator
Didn't know that. Basically duplicates the fix for a flooded carbureted car; hold pedal to floor and crank.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: