Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Color code ,

Visiting Guest

10-30-02, 06:12 PM   #1  
marydawn
Color code ,

I have a 1996 Windstar 3.8L with front/rear AC/Heat.It is stuck in defrost mode.I have checked for loose or unplugged vacuum lines under the hood but found none.Could you tell me the color codes on the vac.lines that go to the heater controls under the dash? Especially the color of the main vac. supply line. Also could you give me some ideas what else to look for incase it is not a vacuum related problem?
Many Thanks, Bela

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-30-02, 10:24 PM   #2  
knuckles
The main vacuum supply hose to the HVAC control head is black in color. Pull the control head & see if you have vacuum to it.

Visiting Guest

10-31-02, 12:04 AM   #3  
marydawn
color code

Thanks for the prompt reply Knuckles,. I will do that and let you know the results

Visiting Guest

10-31-02, 08:23 PM   #4  
marydawn
Pulled control head......

I pulled the HVAC control head out tonight and there was no vacuum at the black line. As far as I can tell this line runs over to and connects onto the blower housing. From there, there is a red line that connects onto the manifold. Am I correct in assuming that these are the supply lines? I will probably have to remove the front coweling to get to the fittings on the blower housing. Please let me know if I'm on the right track. Thanks,

Visiting Guest

10-31-02, 10:12 PM   #5  
knuckles
You're on the right track. You should have vacuum to the red line as well as the black line.

Visiting Guest

11-01-02, 03:15 PM   #6  
marydawn
Color code/success!!!

Hi Knucles,
I want to thank You for your help.The problem was the red vacuum line between manifold and blower housing. It had a hole about 5mm long and 1mm wide. I dont know how it got there, because it was not rubbing against anything that I could see.
I always belived that , when you dont know somthing ask somone who does ,because it can save alot of time and frustration. Thanks again. Your help was much appreciated

Search this Thread