Check Engine Light

Old 10-31-02, 06:29 AM
waynemyers123
Visiting Guest
Check Engine Light

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
v8 - 318
2 Wheel Drive

My Check engine light came on this morning, and I have been trying to find a way to read the code. I found a few places that list the codes, and what they mean as well as a way to run a diagnostic on the computer (holding trip odometer and turning ignition to run). But I can not get it to display the code.

1) Is there a way to read the code for this truck without a code reader (I miss my chevy)?

2) If not, what would be a good reader?

3) Does anyone know of a comprehensive list of codes for this truck?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-02, 09:09 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
A couple of things.

Autozone will scan the codes free of charge. That's one option.

Option #2, the way I would go...2001 vehicle. Covered by the OEM warranty. Dealer's problem not yours.

Old 10-31-02, 09:27 AM
waynemyers123
Visiting Guest
More Information

To get the code, all you have to do is turn the key on and off 3 times - leaving it on the 3rd time. The code is displayed in the odometer display.

I found that it is code = P0442, but am having quite a difficult time getting anything about what to check. I have found a TSB that gives a bit of information.

The message associated with the code is very vague - "A small leak has been detected in the evaporative system"

Unfortunately... no warranty for this vehicle. It is an early 2001, with 50000 miles on it.

Old 10-31-02, 09:29 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Should still be covered by the Federal Emission warranty for it.....I believe it is still 5/50 as stipulated by law. Check your owner's manual to be sure.

Get the dealer to give you the TSB in full text so you know the fix for it.

Old 10-31-02, 04:32 PM
Most of the time p0442 set when the owner fuels the vehicle with it running while the engine is still cold or does not tighten the fuel cap 3 clicks.Sometimes the seal on the top of the tank leaks and causes this code.I agree with Joe it's under warranty why mess with it?By the way those leaks are tested with a smoke machine and trust me you won't buy one.They are not cheap and they are brand specific.

Old 11-01-02, 05:45 AM
waynemyers123
Visiting Guest
2/24

According to the owner's manual, it's 2 years, 24000 miles for the warranty unless you are in California