Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

2002 Tacoma 4x4 Ext. Cab - Basic Tools List?

Visiting Guest

10-31-02, 01:36 PM   #1  
ERB
2002 Tacoma 4x4 Ext. Cab - Basic Tools List?

Does anyone know of a basic tools list, including wrench sizes (and perhaps unpublished tricks/shortcuts) for oil changes, wheel rotation, etc. for a 2002 4x4 Taco? My arsenal of metric tools is, to say the least, scant and I don't want to be sucked into paying a lot of money for a 75-pc. toolkit... most of which will probably collect dust.

Toyota wants $250 for their repair manuals and Haynes hasn't published a 2002 Taco manual yet, so any information would be much appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-31-02, 04:08 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Going to have to spend FAR more than 75 bucks if you want to fix it right .

Pay the asking price for the OEM manual, well worth it.

Sears has a nice tool set for 179.99 (item # 34251) which includes 251 pieces and a free toolbox. If I were just starting out with tools, I wouldn't even squint at that price, it's virtually free as far a tools go (not to mention they are warrantied for life).

A set such as this is probably the minimum needed to tackle most jobs. Screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches and what not are also recommended.

If you are serious about fixing the vehicle I also suggest an air compressor and requisite tools.

If you want to play, you gotta pay

Visiting Guest

11-01-02, 03:02 PM   #3  
ERB
Thanks Joe,

What's your opinion on toolsets that are advertised as *Standard & Metric*? My truck's guts are all metric and I'm thinking that a metric toolset may be the way to go for DIY - after all, the truck won't be paid off for another 5 years. Would it be more prudent to by tools that are all metric?

Visiting Guest

11-01-02, 03:48 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Most of the Sears sets are mixed and that's a good thing, even if you have metric only vehicles. There are other uses for the tools around the house.

The Sears sets (make sure you buy Craftsman not Companion, which is not made in the US or lifetime warranty) are so cheap that it comes out to a buck or so a tool. If you buy the specialty sets they come out more money.

I paid 70 bucks for a mixed set with a case in 1990 and it paid for itself the first time I used it back then .

Visiting Guest

11-02-02, 11:51 AM   #5  
JoeandChristal
ERB,
Sorry , but I'm going to have to agree with Joe.
The more tools you have at the start of the job the better.
I can't tell you how many times I had to bum a ride to the parts
store to buy a wrench or socket I should have had before hand.

I'm not saying blow a weeks pay on an entire section of Sears, but a decent set should last a lifetime. And as far as specialty tools (gear/streering pullers,large torque wrench impact and such)....check around there are alot of places that will "rent" them too you for a good price.
Besides, all the shiny new tools will impress your friends and make them think you know what your doing!

Good luck,
Joe
P.S. allways use the right tool for any job, helps ya keep all your fingers

Visiting Guest

11-04-02, 09:10 AM   #6  
ERB
Thanks Joe,

Sears' 251 piece (plus free toolchest) is on my Christmas list. My lady isn't impressed with the mountain of shiney tools, but I think that's a gender thing. One way or another, there'll be a nice toolset in my basement before long.

Visiting Guest

11-04-02, 10:08 AM   #7  
Joe_F
Lol. My mother says the same thing. But then she sees how I use all the coupons and sales Sears has and how I try to fix everything.

Tools are an excellent investment for the long haul. I have bought tools that have paid for themselves the first time I used them. You can space out your tool purchases. This set is a good start for oil changes and the like.

The Sears lifetime warranty on hand tools is about the best there is. The quality of the tools isn't what it used to be (the old ones were drop forged according to the man at Sears), but they are fine.

Search this Thread