Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Headlamp door won't open

Visiting Guest

10-31-02, 03:03 PM   #1  
Billsc
Headlamp door won't open

I have a 1988 Honda Accord LXI that has only 50,000 actual miles on it. Awhile back one headlamp door would not open so I had my daughter take it in to the Honda dealer. They checked it and said it worked fine . I drove it about a year or so and again one door would not open. I checked the fuses and replaced the one for that door. No help. I tapped the motor with a small hammer hoping that it might just be stuck. No Help. I reversed the fuses to check them out . Still no help.
I think it is a minor problem but I have no clue as to what to do next. I am tired of opening it by hand when I drive it after dark or in the rain.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-31-02, 04:01 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Likely a stuck motor or bad relay. Time for a schematic of the system to determine how it works.

I would simply just leave it up all the time and be done with it . I'm sure those motors are pricey from Honda...might have to go used if that's the problem.

10-31-02, 11:47 PM   #3  
Could be as Joe says and you can also check your electrical connections to that motor. Make sure the ground is good and unplug any connectors to the motor, clean the contacts, apply a small amount of dielectric grease. Thats my 2 cents.

Visiting Guest

11-01-02, 04:44 AM   #4  
Billsc
Thanks for the info guys...
Not sure what I will do yet. Guess I will fool around with it a little more or maybe get a quote from the Honda dealer. Hate to drive with it open all the time ...Looks dorky in my opinion. This is a great little car and with the low milage I would like to hang on to it for awhile...

Visiting Guest

11-02-02, 11:35 AM   #5  
JoeandChristal
Hey Bill,
One small suggestion I haven't seen posted yet is a good cleaning of the hinges and slides. I had a Ford Probe with the pop-up lamps that also started sticking.
All I did was open the hood and slowly pulled the light housing up and cleaned it with a few shots of de-greaser then wiped hinge clean. Reapply oil to the moving parts and test it.
Seems that when I washed the car or if it rained, dirt would be washed down into the housing and collect around the moving parts.
You most likly have allready done it.....but it can hurt to cover all the bases
My 2.5 cents (inflation)
Joe

Visiting Guest

11-04-02, 12:14 PM   #6  
Billsc
Joe...

Thanks for your two cents worth....It didn't help after I sprayed all the connectors and hinges.....I think it is the relay since it has done it on other occassions and a few days later it corrected itself...I think if the motor was bad it would go all at once..I will work on it more until I can get it to a Honda Dealer about 45 miles away...No good mechanics here in thgis small town that are worth the powder to blow them to hell....I had a 97 chevy pickup ...7000 miles ...had a throwout bearing going bad...they worked on it and replaced two bearings...two days later I had to take it back ...they said two more bearings were bad...also the sterring was terrible...like a ghost would grab the wheel and yank it to the side anytime...slow or fast ....They only worked on that seven times and barely made a difference....another time I had my Buick lasabres' AC recharged and they were supposed to change it over to the new 134 stuff...cost me $180 ...three months later it needed charging again...I checked with another mechanic and he said it had not been changed over to new 134....This is a Chevy dealer....needless to say I got rid of that truck and got a new one...from a dealer about 30 miles away...I complained to the first dealer about the AC on my Buick ..they said " bring it in and if it is oiur fault we will fix it..." ....Do they really think I am stupid enough to let them get their hands on it again????????

There...I vented my hostilities about this idiot Chevy dealer ....don't wish him any bad luck but hope he lives to be a thousand years old....................and has the tooth ache every day of his life... <g>

Thanks for your help....will keep you posted on the headlamp cover....

Visiting Guest

11-04-02, 04:44 PM   #7  
Joe_F
A schematic of the system would help. Have you looked in autolibrary.org as I have it below?

Start there for some understanding of what you are up against. Alternatively, you can bring power to the motor and if the unit works, the problem is not the motor.

Wherever you live, I don't want to if that's the type of auto service available

Visiting Guest

11-05-02, 06:44 AM   #8  
Billsc
Joe...

Thanks for the input again. I will go to the web site and check out the schematic. Not sure if I will know what I will be looking for but I will give it a try.

I live in a small South Carolina town and the Chevy dealer is the only place that I can get my vehicles worked on here in town. He owns the Dodge dealership too and those are the only two dealerships in town. Needless to say I now take my vehicles to Columbia , about 35 miles away, for any thing that I need. Only trouble is this is not as accessible and since I live alone I have to look for a friend to go with me and bring me back if I have to leave my vehicle. Otherwise I have to rent a car to get back home.
Again..thanks for the help...

Search this Thread