1992 Ford Explorer brakes

Old 10-31-02, 04:01 PM
vega
Visiting Guest
Cool 1992 Ford Explorer brakes

Did a brake job 500 miles ago. New rotors, pads, flex hoses, master cyl (rod to specs), turned drums, new shoes and wheel cylinders. Brakes fine with a high pedal. Problem: pedal is now lower (no leaks, and yes, I installed new hardware and the self adjusters are lubed and ok). I originally adjusted the rears up nice and snug. Is my problem that with new shoes they only contact with a small area at first? Will I have to keep readjusting them manually if I want a higher pedal? How many miles might it take till most of the surface of the shoe is in contact with the drum and the self adjusters will do their job and keep my pedal higher like at first? (Am I barking up the wrong tree?)

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-02, 04:04 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Any fluid leaks?

If you are able to tighten up the adjusters at this point, something is not working right.

What do you mean by "rod out to specs" on the master cylinder? It is not recommended to do your own MC rebuilds, specialized tools and equipment are needed to do it correct. Buy a rebuilt and be done with it.

Old 10-31-02, 04:13 PM
You will never get the same pedal height from self adjusters that you get from a manual adjustment.Self adjusters will not adjust the shoes that tight to the drum.

Old 10-31-02, 11:41 PM
Turning the drums, especially if you go to the max amount, will also lead to a slightly lower pedal after the shoes break in. You have removed a small amout of metal from the drums and now the wheel cylinder has to move or expand a little further to get the shoes to contact the drums.

Search this Thread