Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ford Taurus, Should I buy?

NM

10-31-02, 09:37 PM   #1  
Ford Taurus, Should I buy?

The car is a 1990 Taurus V-6 3.0 88.000 miles AC PW. auto trans. I can get a good price on this car so I'm thinking of buying. The car runs fine (for a ford) But i have seen some posts of trouble with this engine. Like head gasket and trans. problems.What do you guys think on this car?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links

11-01-02, 03:26 AM   #2  
I've owned 3 Taurus's with the 3.0L ... 88, 94 & 98. Never had a problem with the head gasket. Although I've heard about problems with that engine. Is there a chance that your car already had a gasket job done? I suggest you have a good mechanic look it over. He/she can determine if there are early signs of the gasket going bad.

Visiting Guest

11-01-02, 03:31 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Run far away unless you are getting it free.

The engine isn't the problem...the transmission is heap and pukes out early and is costly to repair rendering the car worthless.

Quite problematic of a vehicle. Run for the hills.

My .02

11-01-02, 05:10 AM   #4  
the 3.8l is the engine that has head gasket problems the 3.0l is the best engine to have in a taurus if it only has that many miles and has ben maintaned should still have some life left in the car.
but it is 12 years old and not worth much in resale so make sure you dont overpay for it.

Group Moderator

FL

11-01-02, 10:22 AM   #5  
Still has the same p.o.s. tranny on it as far as I know. Not sure what a good price is to you, but NADA shows it in roughly the $2k range (depending on model and condition). Personally if I was inclined to buy a '90 Taurus (and I'm not) I wouldn't pay over $1000 for it.

NM

11-01-02, 03:49 PM   #6  
Thanks for the reply guys!

Ok! The transmission is the weak spot on this car. Can a trans cooler be installed on this car and would it help it last longer.It seems ok now. Well a good price is $1000 and is in good condition. Or maybe I should take joe's advise and run for the hills!

Visiting Guest

11-01-02, 03:56 PM   #7  
Joe_F
At this stage of the game, no. The damage is done. You're perpetuating (if you can call it that) a losing money pit.

I would stay far away. The rest of the car is trash too, and not really well built. Give me a rear drive GM of that vintage. It will run forever .

11-01-02, 06:15 PM   #8  
well lets see in 1990 you have the caprice and the f body camaro, firebird, did i miss any, doesnt seem like gm had much to choose from that wasnt trash to.

Visiting Guest

11-01-02, 08:06 PM   #9  
Joe_F
1990:

Full size Buick Wagon, Full Size Olds wagon, Chevy sedan and wagon. All sporting a 307 Olds V8 (read: cheap and easy to fix), or the Chevy models had fuel injection.

You could also go for a rear drive Caddy with either the TBI Chevy engines or Olds 307.

Far superior in every way in reliability, comfort, hauling, looks, and longevity than any Ford Taurus .

There are a couple of us with these rear drivers with close to 200k of trouble free driving. All of our cars were 1500 or less over 5 years ago .

(Of course there are trucks too )

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-01-02, 08:51 PM   #10  
Hi allen!

If I were forced to buy a taurus, lol...it would be with the 3.0 engine. The 3.8 was/is the gasket blower. The 3.0 actually seems to be a fair little engine. The tranny, as everyone has mentioned...is the major downfall here. I have seen many of these cars put through neglect and abuse, and still run like a top. For those few, there are far more that hit the junkyard long before their time. Overall, I have a low opinion of them and would not want to put myself in the position of relying on the car. If it will be a second or spare car, then maybe. I don't know why, but these engines always seem to be needing a water pump, oil pan gasket, and/or engine mounts.

For 1000 bucks...maybe (stressing the word maybe) it might be worth the gamble if it looks and runs good.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Group Moderator

FL

11-02-02, 01:56 PM   #11  
Somehow I knew Joe would work us into the rwd-GM discussion! LMAO

BTW, as I recollect the tranny doesn't have a heat-related problem, it's a lube problem. As Joe says, there are a bunch of cars (even some non-GM; SACRILEGE!) that you could better spend your money on. Just for grins, try looking on-line, if you haven't already. Lots of good used cars listed on the various on-line car sites. We even got our latest addition to the fleet, a UD 1800 rollback (seen on our webpage), through an on-line source and we got the deal of the decade.

Search this Thread