Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Brake Light

PA

11-01-02, 08:07 PM   #1  
Brake Light

1990 Toyota Camry, 4 cyl 4 speed auto.

The idiot light on the instrument panel for the brakes is lit up. It goes out when accelerating and comes back on when the tranny shifts.

I just replaced the rear brakes and wheel cylinders. One of the cylinders was leaking. The light stayed on all of the time prior to this repair.

I'm guessing the problem is with the vacuum assist on the power brakes. It may be a bad hose or something else. I haven't started to troubleshoot this yet, I wanted to post and get some ideas before I started.

Does anyone have any ideas on troubleshooting this problem? Thanks for the help.

Sherm

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-01-02, 08:10 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Did you check the fluid level in the master cylinder? Where is it?

How about the plug on the brake light switch (typically located on the master cylinder).

How does the pedal feel? Parking brake on by chance?

PA

11-01-02, 09:03 PM   #3  
Master Cylinder is full, applying and releasing parking brake has no effect, will check plug in morning. I replaced front brakes and calipers in August 2002.

Does the light going out while accelerating mean anything to you?

11-02-02, 04:17 AM   #4  
Joe is right on, the light is for fluid level and parking brake only.

Disconnect the fluid level sensor and jump across the harness side and see if the light goes out with the engine running. If it does the sensor is ng.

Larry

Search this Thread