Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

92 Honda Accord Won't shift from park

Visiting Guest

11-02-02, 10:31 AM   #1  
programmer
92 Honda Accord Won't shift from park

I have a 1992 Honda Accord that will not shift from park after starting the engine. The brake lights also do not work. I can use the key override to shift into nuetral before starting the car, start the car, then shift to drive, reverse, etc. Also, the "Stop/Horn" fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse and it blew again.

I removed the break light switch and had Autozone test it with an ohm meter, it tested out good, no problem with the switch. Just to make sure I (and they) knew what they were doing, I had them test a new switch. They tested the same (got readings from the same combinations of connections.)

The autozone guy said it was probably the neutral saftey/backup light switch. I looked in my Haynes Repair Manual, but there was no mention of a Neutral Safty/Backup Light switch for automatic trans. There was one for manual trans. The book said (for manual trans) to put the car in reverse, turn the key to on position and see if the reverse lights came on. They do. Does this mean the neutral safety switch is good?

What do you think, could it be the Neutral Safety/Backup Light Switch? Should I go ahead and replace the break light switch? Where do I go from here?

One more thing. I replace my front brake pads a couple of weeks ago. Could I have messed up something while replacing the brakes?

Thanks,
programmer

Sponsored Links

11-02-02, 12:41 PM   #2  
Your problem is the brake light fuse blowing. The shift inter-lock looks for the brake light signal to release the shifter.

If you replace the fuse without pressing the brake can you sound the horn? If not the problem is with the horn circuit

If the horn works start by replacing the fuse and disconnecting all the plugs that go to the rear lights.

If the fuse dosen't blow you have isolated the short to one of the rear lights. Connect them back one at a time to see which one it is.

If it still blows the short is between the brake lites and the brake light switch.

The wiring for the circuit would help to trace it out

Larry

Search this Thread