Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

tires do not inflate!

Visiting Guest

11-02-02, 11:19 PM   #1  
StanToronto
tires do not inflate!

1991 Mazda Protege 1.8L SOHC with 13" steel wheels and 1-year old 13" Hallmark (Goodyear's el-cheapo brand) all-season tires. Tire size = 175/70R13

Symptoms: Two tires do not inflate when air is pumped into them.
This has occurred once before with my other car, and only when it is cold out (in the 30's range degrees F).

I changed the old valve in the tire stem with a brand new one, and this solved the problem last time (with my other car), but now on this car, I can't even recover a reasonable amount of air so that I can drive on the tire! The car has steel wheels with the lip a bit rusty and with "bendy" hubcaps, so it's hard to tell whether wheel balancing is needed.

However, wheel balancing shouldn't be needed because it's only been driven about three thousand 5000 miles on these 1-year old tires! Right? And is tire balancing going to affect whether I can get air into the valve stem?

(I tried three different air pumps at different gas stations, so I know that's not the problem.)

Ideas/suggestions/answers to this problem are welcome. Thanks.
-Airless

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-03-02, 04:56 AM   #2  
BobQ
Balancing has nothing to do with it. Did you try removing the wheel covers to get at the valve easier? If that doesn't work I suggest having entirely new valve assemblies installed. Proferably longer ones.

Super Moderator

CANADA

11-03-02, 05:40 AM   #3  
StanToronto:
Are you missing the caps to cause the stems to fill with dirt?
I would suggest you remove the hubcap and try again to see if that is causing the chuck to not fully depress the valve. You could then try removing the valve and fill the tire without it to see if the stem is plugged.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

Visiting Guest

11-03-02, 07:12 AM   #4  
Joe_F
I agree with every one here.

If the tires still leak continually after you add air, your rusty rims may be to blame. Rusty rims are dangerous business and should be pitched.

If the tires leak air, find the source of the problem and correct it. If the tires are dryrotted, pitch them as well.

Super Moderator

CANADA

11-03-02, 09:57 AM   #5  
StanToronto:
Another thing; Are your tires sitting totally flat in your driveway?
If that is the case then the bead has probably separated from the rim, allowing the air to leave the tire faster than it is going in.
You will have to remove the tires from the car and take them to a tire shop. Post back if this is what's wrong and you want to know how to try and inflate them yourself.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

Visiting Guest

11-03-02, 11:25 AM   #6  
BobQ
I don't think "flat" is his problem. He can't GET air into it. But if it is,jacking the tire off the ground to get the weight of the car off it will help in some cases to get air into it. I think for some reason the valve isn't allowing the chuck to go down over it enough to depress the stem. I maintain a large fleet of grounds equipment at a private country club and I've had that happen several times. Changing the valve does the trick. Sometimes they get slightly out of round(how?who knows). Maybe the guy who installed them(on aftermarket rims?) didn't have the right tool and yanked them thru with a pair of pliers and squashed the threaded end.

Visiting Guest

11-03-02, 07:29 PM   #7  
StanToronto
Got air? A little bit: only 26psi

Here's something interesting: Before I got to check back on these replies (thanks, everyone!), I asked a dude at the local auto shop, and he said to use a thin cloth (e.g., handkerchief) to cover the stem before pumping. So I used a thick paper towel, and it worked. This formed a better fit between the valve stem and the pump, so that air could go in without escaping. Mind you, the air went in much more slowly than it would otherwise, but it went in.

For some reason, though, I could get no more than 26psi of air pressure in the one tire. (The other tires are now well pressured.) This was safe enough to drive the one mile home, but I wouldn't like to risk this on a longer drive. I'm not sure if this issue is related to the original one. Any thoughts?

In response to GregH's questions, no, tires are not flat on the driveway, and no, I am not missing the valve caps.
And this car has the original steel rims.
Changing the valve inner core accomplished nothing. Both the original valve core and the replacement are fine.

AL

11-03-02, 08:24 PM   #8  
Do your tires have valve stem extensions on them? I have in the past had a couple of defective valve stem extensions which would not accept air till I removed them. You might try that. Another thought - is it possible that there is ice in your valve stem which is restricting the air flow into the tire?

Search this Thread