Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

UnJamming of 1987 Buick Riviera Hood in Order to Initiate Damaged Body Repair

Visiting Guest

11-03-02, 12:08 PM   #1  
cjh2
UnJamming of 1987 Buick Riviera Hood in Order to Initiate Damaged Body Repair

Specifically, I have a 1987 Buick Riviera which was involved in a minor front end collision. I am, however,unable to open the hood which has been bent considerably out of the original alignment. I wish to remove the hood and replace it provided that a replacement hood is available; notwithstanding, the 16 year old age of my vehicle. It appears that possibly applying considerable force in prying it opened via some type of wrench connection may help. The major problem here is I am uncertain how to attach the wrench apparatus to the hood in order to apply the pulling force to release the hood from it's locking device, etc.
I also intend to replace the Head Light assemblies on both sides as well as straighten out the top front portion of the Driver's Side Fender.
Given that the vehicle is 16 years old and I do not prefer Replacement Vehicle Expense at this juncture, is it worth the effort to embark upon this. If anyone has the procedural response to the proposed task of unjamming my hood as well as an answer to my quandary as to the praticality of it all please reply. Thanks, cjh2.

Sponsored Links

11-03-02, 04:38 PM   #2  
If the hood has a cable release on it then try to have someone pull real hard on the cable while you try to bounce the hood up and down or pry it up. You can also try going up from the bottom to release the hood or start removing some of the front end parts.

Try looking for parts/prices at www.car-part.com or do a search for "auto body parts online"

Visiting Guest

11-03-02, 07:22 PM   #3  
cjh2

Thanks, Stevo2. I will give that a try.

Visiting Guest

11-03-02, 07:32 PM   #4  
87QuestTSI
If you have a front grill that is easy to remove, you can usually access the mechanism that controls the hood release. The cable either snapped or the release is just bent too much to be released at all. I wouldn't apply too much force to the hood right now, you'll probably destroy the hood lock if you do.

Visiting Guest

11-03-02, 07:48 PM   #5  
cjh2
Thanks, 87QuestTSI. I will keep that under advisement.

Visiting Guest

11-04-02, 08:01 AM   #6  
Joe_F
I agree with everyone here.

The Riviera is a weird duck and you might not find many replacement aftermarket body parts for it, perhaps only the sheet metal stuff....

You can try Sherman Associates, Goodmark Industries, and other companies that sell imported body parts...they might have what you need.

Alternatively, just put a parts request on www.junkyarddog.com and any yard that has what you want will just reply to you with price, availability and condition of said parts.

Visiting Guest

11-04-02, 03:20 PM   #7  
cjh2

Thanks, Joe_F. I was able to open the hood today by using a Pneumatically powered, approximately 3" diameter cutting saw in order to make the necessary access to the connection.
I also have additional questions which I will post on the Forum Board. cjh2.

Visiting Guest

11-04-02, 06:57 PM   #8  
cjh2
Thanks, Joe_F. for the resourses. I am sorry to have broken protocal. cjh2

Visiting Guest

11-05-02, 08:57 AM   #9  
Joe_F
Ok..

Let us know what you find.

Visiting Guest

11-05-02, 11:16 AM   #10  
cjh2
Thanks again, Joe_F. I do not have any thing in the way of any major and informative finds other than having visited 3 junk yards and settling on one of them to provide me with the needed parts to complete my project. I will let you know how things turn out after completion. cjh2

Search this Thread