How tough a job to replace struts??

Old 11-03-02, 02:39 PM
Reel-Rascals
Visiting Guest
How tough a job to replace struts??

On 1994 Acura Integra ... is it as simple as it appears? Jack up frame, remove wheel (for room), remove and replace strut? Is that it?

Any safety issues I might have missed besides a deadman or safety under the vehicle? All comments appreciated, thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-02, 05:12 PM
Unless you have, or have access to, a spring compressor for your vehicle I wouldn't attempt it.In order to remove the strut tower you must compress the spring first. This will take the pressure off so it can be removed..... Make no mistake, this is a dangerous job. This spring has a great potential to do bodily damage and it will unless you give it the respect it deserves... Please check back often to see if others have opinions on this as well. Good Luck.

Old 11-03-02, 05:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can rent a spring compressor that will do the job. Most of thestruts are removed from the car, then they are compressed. Make sure you have and follow a good repair manual. They are not much fun, I liked the old shocks.

Old 11-03-02, 07:01 PM
Reel-Rascals
Visiting Guest
Ugghhh ... well, that answers that . Thanks very much for the insightful replies, that's what makes these forums here so great !

Old 11-03-02, 07:35 PM
87QuestTSI
Visiting Guest
You might as well replace both the spring and strut to save yourself the hassle shortly down the road when the springs begin to sag. Replacing a full shock/spring combo is much easier, just a few bolts (get a breaker bar or an impact wrench) and an alignment when you are finished unless you have camber bolts (I believe they keep the camber the same when you remove the struts...not positive)...I've done it numerous times at my house...not hard at all with a few tools.

Old 11-04-02, 08:20 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
A couple of things:

1) Each poster is right about needing a spring compressor. No way around it.

a) Most parts stores with tool rental programs have them.
b) If the parts store has a machine shop and you buy the struts there, they can probably install them onto the springs and you can install the loaded units back into the car.

2) You will need a wheel alignment as well.

3) At this age, also replace the strut mounts (the rubber isolators if so equipped that cushion the mounting plate where it mounts to the body.

Old 11-04-02, 07:29 PM
mr_bidinkle
Visiting Guest
i just changed the rear struts on a 97 cavalier and changed some on a toyota a few weeks a go. It's not a bad project. Just dangerous. With proper caution, it can be done. On the Cavalier, i needed a long breaker bar to get the bolts looseon the bottom. Not even an air wrench would budge it. It just knocked on it and that was it. With a little love and good breaker bar, the bolt came loose. good luck, if you decide you want to do it!
steve

Old 11-05-02, 11:31 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
The first few I did were risky--ie. cheap spring compressors or half worn out rentals/loaners. Local parts store no longer rents/loans that tool, and a cheapo is $20 to buy. Best deal now is they will install the struts and mounts for $20 using their compressor--did it that way on my last strut job--well worth the $!!