Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Power window problem

11-03-02, 03:21 PM   #1  
Power window problem

97 Mercury Sable LS. Passenger and rear windows do not operate from their switches however the windows do work if you use the drivers master control. At first figured it was the Lock out switch (on the drivers door) that was bad. Pulled door panel and removed switch module. Checked switch with meter and had no continuity between the lock out lead an power in the unlocked position. Pulled switch apart and re-adjusted and burnished the contacts. Switch tested good at that point and with it plugged back in i am getting 12 volts on that lead (lock out) with the switch in the unlocked position. So that would mean power is heading to the other switches on that lead. Problem is that the windows still don't operate by their own switch. The only conclusion i come up with is that that lead is broken between the door and the first switch. Has anyone heard of a problem with Mercs or any other info would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-04-02, 08:23 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Have you also pulled the other switches at each seating position to see if they are dirty as well?

11-04-02, 02:30 PM   #3  
POWER WINDOWS

No, because i figured 3 switches didn't go bad at the same time.

Visiting Guest

11-04-02, 04:34 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Never assume, always check. Depending on how it's wired, an open at one positon could cause trouble.

11-05-02, 03:35 PM   #5  
power window problem

Thanks I'll give it a try.

11-05-02, 06:00 PM   #6  
You may have a or multiple wires causing intermittent problems or the GEM module may have failed on the window circuit.Do you know if your car is equipped with GEM?It's most likey,you do.It was Fords first try at multiplexing,didn't work well.Let me know and I'll try to help.

11-06-02, 04:13 PM   #7  
Power windows

Thanks I'll check that too.

Search this Thread