Daytime running lamps-Mercury sable

Old 11-04-02, 05:50 PM
Stumped Again
Visiting Guest
Daytime running lamps-Mercury sable

Does anyone know the location of the daytime running lamp module in a 97 Mercury Sable. I've checked in the engine compartment, headlamp area and under the dash to no avail.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-02, 12:06 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
U.S. spec. Fords do not have DRLs, therefore they don't have a DRL module.

Canadian cars mount the DRL module behind & below the LF headlamp.

Old 11-05-02, 07:05 AM
You might contact a Ford dealer and see if they'll copy a wiring diagram (for the headlamp system) for you.I believe they are controlled by the GEM module.My 1997 taurus had the daytime lamps on it.
You didn't mention your problem but on mine my lights would sometimes stay on after shutting the car off.I got used to checking the headlamps every time i parked just to make sure they went off.Usually i could cycle the key off and on and it would solve the problem.
I never did try and fix it(since it was only a work car) but most of the ones that came through the shop ended up being a module problem and quite expensive.

Old 11-05-02, 11:23 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Fordtech,

Are DRLs optional on U.S. spec Taurus & Sables?

I ask because we've had literally thousands of these cars in our fleet over the years & none of them were ever equipped with DRLs.

Both Alldata and the 1997 Ford Passenger Car Service Manual CD-ROM show the DRL module behind the left headlamp.

Here's a copy & paste of the "Description & Operation" section from the Ford CD-ROM:

«Section 17-04: Lamps, Daytime Running»
«DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION»

Daytime Running Lamp (DRL) System

WARNING:
DAYTIME RUNNING LAMPS CONTROL (15A272) GETS VERY HOT DURING OPERATION. BE SURE DAYTIME RUNNING LAMPS CONTROL HAS COOLED BEFORE HANDLING IT OR PERSONAL INJURY MAY OCCUR.

Note:
If vehicle is equipped with autolamp system, the DRL system is active until the autolamp system turns on the headlamps (13008).

The daytime running lamp (DRL) system is designed to turn the high beam headlamps ON, with a reduced light output and without illuminating the high beam indicator in the instrument panel (04320), when the following conditions are met:

l The ignition switch is in the RUN position.

l The park brake is fully released.

l The headlamp switch (11654) is in the OFF or PARK lamp position.

The DRL system is required by the Canadian government for vehicles sold in Canada.

l The DRL system uses a daytime running lamps control module located on the LH front bumper brace under the front of the vehicle.

l The wiring is connected to the headlamp dash panel junction wire (14290).

The daytime running lamps control output:

l consists of rapidly pulsating short bursts of power which cannot be measured using most multimeters.

l output cannot be adjusted.

I zipped up a file containing the DRL wiring diagram and component location. It can be downloaded at the URL below.

http://www.batauto.com/techs/sabledrl.zip

Old 11-06-02, 10:05 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I believe after a certain year, they became standard issue on many US models....I see a lot of them that have it.

Old 11-06-02, 10:46 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
They're standard on GM cars, not on Fords.

We have a couple thousand 2002-2003 Taurus & Sables in the fleet right now. Not one has DRLs.