94 4x4 ranger noises

Old 11-04-02, 07:05 PM
mr_bidinkle
Visiting Guest
94 4x4 ranger noises

recently when i engage my manually locking truck into four wheel drive, it started to squeek, a cyclical squeek, not a constant one. There was no noise when i disenged it. I drove it for a few minutes, 5 or so to listen to it. In 4h, didn't check 4L , the noise got progressively worse. I haven't driven it in 4h for several months, and the previous occasion was fine, with no noises. It is definately coming from the front end. Is this going to be something that an intermediate home mechanic such as my self would be able to address? (on a scale of 1-10?) i am guessing it might be a 7-8 range. hope i have given you enough information to enable you to judge what i could be.

thank you,
steve

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-02, 12:03 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
I'd start by checking the u-joints on the front driveshaft & drive axles.

Old 11-06-02, 07:16 PM
mr_bidinkle
Visiting Guest
How do i tell if the U-joint is the problem?

Old 11-06-02, 10:01 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Engine off, keys in your pocket, parking brake ON.

Get under truck & visually inspect the u-joints. If you see red dust where the caps meet the cross, replace the joint.

If the joint passes visual inspection, grasp the shaft & twist it back & forth while looking for play between the cross & caps. Replace any joints that show evidence of play (movement) between the cross & caps.