Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

oil pressure

11-05-02, 03:33 AM   #1  
oil pressure

Tried out 1992 Ventura, maybe it is Vantura, any, it is a cube van (GMC). Don't know what size engine it has. I would think a small 300/something. It is a 3/4 ton. Probaply the equivalent of a Ford 302. Anyway, anyone know what kind of oil pressure it should show while running the road and at idle? If I read the gauge right, it shows about 30lbs while driving it and drops to about 15 or 20lbs at idle. High milage (230000) but still runs really good for now. The check engine light comes on also when it warms up. A local water testing company has it, and it is an old Ryder truck with records from 1996, when they bought it to present. I passed on it at $2000. I was told that was a one day price. Any comments are appreciated.

Tx

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-05-02, 03:47 AM   #2  
Joe_F
1000 dollar truck around here. You cannot determine the oil pressure without using a hand held gauge. The dash gauge is optimistic at best.

It could have been low on oil, had a bad sending unit, or an oil pressure problem.

My vote's for the latter. Sounds like a heap.

Group Moderator

FL

11-05-02, 04:59 AM   #3  
Good choice, boman. I think the "one day only price" was the kicker; frequently a ploy for you to put money on something before you have a chance to check it out.

11-05-02, 05:13 AM   #4  
one day only price

I tend to agree. Actually my son haggled him down from $2800 to $2200 then asked him if he would turn down $2000. He said no but would rather have $2200. So the next business dayI tried it out and didn't want to give $2000, Thats when he said "today only". I usually pass when told that. I think I would be better off to get in touch with the owner instead of the guy over the trucks on deals like this. Cube vans are hard to find around here and kind of high when you do find one.

Group Moderator

FL

11-05-02, 05:24 AM   #5  
Just for grins I checked the NADA listing:

Low retail - $2280
Average retail - $3505

I tend to agree with joe; and if they really wanted to get top price for it, they wouldn't be hawking it with a check engine light that comes on.

Visiting Guest

11-05-02, 08:55 AM   #6  
Joe_F
My answer to "2000 today" would have been, "When you know what is really wrong with it, here's a C note" .

In other words, the longer it sits, the less it will sell .

For a grand someone might take a chance on it. For 2 grand, there are more choices, so people will pass. .

11-05-02, 03:40 PM   #7  
Good pass you should go pro.With 230k it's very likely it has seen better days.Trans,engine,ball joints ,shocks,bushings,springs.The list goes on.Good job.

Search this Thread