Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cheap Way to Temporarily Fix Heat!?

Visiting Guest

11-05-02, 03:32 PM   #1  
winkmccarthy
Cheap Way to Temporarily Fix Heat!?

Does anyone have any tips on getting temporary heat in my car? My car (1998 Mazda 626 LX/ 4 cyl. 2.2L ) heater core is shot, and my mechanic told me it will cost over $500 to fix, but in the meantime, does anyone have any good ideas to temporarily have a little heat?

My brother recommended that I get a car battery and connect it to an AC/DC converter and get a little covered space heater for now. Does this sound safe or crazy?

Any ideas would be great!!! It's getting really cold here in MA!!!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-05-02, 03:40 PM   #2  
davidf
Buy an car electric heater at auto parts or department stores

Visiting Guest

11-05-02, 03:45 PM   #3  
winkmccarthy
Yeah, I've checked all major department stores (walmart, etc), as well as Pepboys, Autozone and a local Center Automotive, and none have it. The only place i found one was online for $19.99 and it plugs into my cigarette lighter, but it's only like a 12 volt. Would that even defog a window?!!

11-05-02, 03:50 PM   #4  
Is the core leaking?If not try backflushing the core,if it is leaking repair it properly.A little aftermarket unit will not give enough heat(at least where I live)and may not defrost your windshield.Any way it would be a hokey,temporary solution at best.You will spend money you could apply to a permanent solution.You could always change the core yourself,saving all the labor and part markup if you feel capable.

Visiting Guest

11-05-02, 04:07 PM   #5  
winkmccarthy
See, that's the problem. I don't feel capable! Where exactly would I look to find the heater core? I know it's near/under the dash somewhere (that's where the cost is of replacing it), but can I see it from underneath the car? I know these are really basic questions, but I need to know in case I can actually do it. I'm a girl, but I'm a pretty quick study!

Visiting Guest

11-05-02, 04:14 PM   #6  
davidf
I find it hard to believe that a recent year car has a shot heater core.Maybe your mechanic is not scrupulous. Does your temperature guage show a normal temperature?Check out your heater door is open or other possibilities .

11-05-02, 04:30 PM   #7  
Read Joe Fs signature file it may help with autolibrary or get yourself a good reference manual.The local library may have what you need.Be patient it is not a 10 minute job.

11-05-02, 04:31 PM   #8  
I forgot, once again is it leaking?

Visiting Guest

11-06-02, 06:35 AM   #9  
winkmccarthy
Oops, sorry-- I meant a 1988 ~! I'm unsure if it's leaking or not, as i'm unsure as to where/how to look. Would I need to take anything apart in order to view or can I just see it from underneath the car?

Visiting Guest

11-06-02, 06:36 AM   #10  
winkmccarthy
Also, I'm unable to view autolibrary.org for some reason-- when I log in, it's says that I'm unauthorized to view?

Group Moderator

FL

11-06-02, 07:03 AM   #11  
Copy and paste the entire URL into your browser address:

http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual%...delLookup.html

If your core is leaking you should get one or more indications:

1. Smell of coolant (sickly-sweet smell).
2. Dampness in carpet on front seat passenger side
3. Unaccounted for loss of coolant (having to frequently add water/coolant). Look for obvious signs of leaks other than heater core; leaking hoses, puddle under car, white sweet smelling smoke out the exhaust after wam up.

As davo is suggesting, make sure that's what's really leaking; most heater core replacements are NOT fun jobs. You can find the approximate location of the core by looking under the hood. Look at the firewall (rear wall of the engine compartment) and locate where the heater hoses go through the bulkhead. The hoses should be about the diameter of a broom handle and will be rubber rather than solid (ac lines).

Visiting Guest

11-06-02, 09:45 AM   #12  
Joe_F
I agree with all here.

If it's a 1998 car with a truly leaky heater core, you MIGHT be able to get Mazda to pay for some of the repair as a goodwill warranty. No 1998 car should have a leaky heater core.

11-06-02, 11:00 AM   #13  
A bad heater core oughta smell funny, a weird, sweet chemical odor in the car, and it oughta leak. Begin there.
It might be easy - I had a Mustang you took it out through the glove box!

Search this Thread