Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

PS pulley shaft

11-07-02, 08:21 AM   #1  
PS pulley shaft

79 blazer, 4wd, fullsize, 350, 4b, automatic

My power steering pulley (2 belt pulley) is wobbling. Is there a seal or bushing that needs to be replaced? The power steering pump was rebuilt approx. 2 years ago. I've checked on alldata and they don't have information available for this year model truck, and I have finally located a shop manual for it. I ordered it, but it won't be here for a few weeks and I believe that I need to deal with this now.

Is this something that I can do, or is it shop time again?

Thanks,

Kay

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-07-02, 02:58 PM   #2  
Joe_F
If the right spacers, bolts and parts are there, then pitch the pump.

Power steering pump rebuilds shouldn't be left to the average Joe...err, no pun intended.

An off the shelf rebuilt for this should be dirt cheap and is the way to go.

Alldata only goes back to 1982 to my knowledge.

11-07-02, 03:08 PM   #3  
I took the cheapie way out when I had the pump rebuilt since I couldn't afford a new one. I did have it done at a shop, but my mechanic did admit that he had never rebuilt one.

So its safe to say that replacing the pump will solve the pulley wobbling? It is really bad, too. I'm afraid of damaging the shaft for the pulley.

Thanks, and I will look into a rebuilt one this time.

Kay

Visiting Guest

11-07-02, 03:42 PM   #4  
Joe_F
I can't see how buying an off the shelf rebuilt wasn't cheaper the first time . It takes special skills to rebuild a pump...most guys don't have the equipment, knowledge or experience like the mass rebuilders do.

It depends on your problem. If the guy forgot to put back parts and spacers, naturally, the belt will wobble .

My vote is for pitching the pump. Sounds wiped.

11-07-02, 05:40 PM   #5  
I guess I can chalk the rebuild up to not being very smart. I was pricing new ones, and they're only $100 but at the time I couldn't afford that. I opted to have it rebuilt, and can't even remember why. It wasn't leaking or anything, and the pulley rode fine. It probably was when I was having tie rod problems and just assumed it was the power steering going out. Am a little wiser today, and will get a rebuilt pump this time.

Thanks Joe. I learn more and more every day. Unfortunately, sometimes what I do learn makes me realize just how foolish I am not to ask around first! Thank goodness I now have these forums to ask before I do.

Kay

Search this Thread