1987 F250 Tranny won't engage cold

Old 11-07-02, 10:25 AM
iwasbornin1970
Visiting Guest
1987 F250 Tranny won't engage cold

'87 F250....L6 Engine....C6 Tranny. 190K miles (40K on engine).

With the return of cold weather, my tranny problem returned this morning. When I first start the truck in the morning, the forward drive gears will not engage unless I let the vehicle warm for about two minutes. Reverse pops right in, and once I can get it to engage in drive, the tranny works properly (shifts in and out on demand, up/down shifts normally).

Towards the end of last winter, I replaced the filter & fluid, and added a additive designed to prevent belt slipping. The tranny ran fine for the few remaining cold mornings, and I hoped the problem was fixed, until this morning.

Any ideas of what I can llok into besides a new tranny?

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-02, 11:10 AM
Usually indication of seals in clutch packs that are hardening. Leak when cold and when fluid warms expands seal enough not leak.

Larry

Old 11-07-02, 06:50 PM
On a C6 tranny I would place my bet on a front pump seal.They are notorious for this.There could be other problems however as toyotaman suggested.A C6 is one of Fords better ideas.Meaning they finally made something worthwhile.I don't suggest trans repairs as diy.

Old 11-07-02, 07:46 PM
iwasbornin1970
Visiting Guest
You guys are probably both right, thanks for the tips. It is a pretty old tranny.

Which brings up another question: I have a E4OD out of a '90 F150 (150K miles) that I was considering having rebuilt instead of the C6. The E4 seems to run quieter, with better pickup and mileage. The truck it was in had an occasional "shudder" with the throttle about 1/3 down. I have no idea if it was the trans, mounts, rear end, or what, but I figure rebuilding it would make it a moot point.

But isn't the C6 a tougher, loger-lasting tranny? I don't haul stuff more than a few times a year, but I plan on keeping this truck for a long time, and want to go with whichever tranny is more reliable.

Old 11-07-02, 08:05 PM
As I said C6 was Fords good idea,good trans the E4 OD is a electronicaly controlled 4 speed overdrive transmission.It is not a direct replacement for a c 6 and most likely will not work.

Old 11-07-02, 11:16 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
E4OD is sorta based on the C-6, but it is not nearly as durable. it is also MUCH more expensive to overhaul should the need arise.

You CAN retrofit an E4OD in place of a C-6, but it is not easy or cheap.

I suggest you have your existing transmission professionally rebuilt. Rebuilding your trans is MUCH cheaper and easier than retrofitting an E4OD & the rebuilt trans. will probably outlast the rest of the truck.

Old 11-08-02, 06:01 AM
iwasbornin1970
Visiting Guest
I bought the '90 F150 a few weeks ago for $200 (mechanically beat, but zero rust) and swapped the body plus any other parts that were in better shape with my '87 F250. I had already replaced the engine and most of the suspension on the '87, so I now have a truck that should last awhile. Just need a good tranny.

I could make the E4OD work if it was worth it - I have the computer and wiring harnesses from the '90, and in theory, could hook up just enough to make the tranny run independent of the '87 system. But since you guys seem to agree with my opinion that the C6 is generally a better tranny, it costs less to rebuild (thanks knuckles), and the hassle of the electronics, I'll just get it rebuilt, and be done with it.

Hopefully the old one will hold out for a few months until I get the $$$ to get a quality rebuild. Anyone wanna swap a '90 4.9L L6 & E4OD tranny for a rebuild? j/k