Power steering question

Old 11-08-02, 05:27 AM
Antony W. Serio
Visiting Guest
Power steering question

I have an 88 S-10 4x4 pickup with a 4.3 engine, a 700R4 and 235000 miles. I recently had the ball joints replaced, which has drasticly improved the handling of this old girl. After I got the truck back from the mechanic, I have experienced very stiff steering when I first start the truck in cold weather. For the first few turns of the steering wheel, it is almost like there is no power steering. However, the steering quickly improves. I have also noticed that I can hear the pump squeal during sharp turns when the truck is cold now. When the weather is warm, I have not had any problems. The weather has been un-naturally warm until immediately after I had the ball joints replaced, so I do not know if the problem existed before I had the work done. I did not notice the problem last winter. I have not noticed any P/S fluid leaks, and my mechanic said that he lubed everything. I have been told that I may need to have the P/S fluid flushed. Could this be the problem, and is this something that I can do myself?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-02, 08:29 AM
tstokka
Visiting Guest
how is the level of the power steering fluid?

Old 11-08-02, 09:13 AM
Antony W. Serio
Visiting Guest
The P/S fluid is full and looks clean.

Old 11-08-02, 01:52 PM
davidf
Visiting Guest
Fill only to the full index mark and not past it .

Old 11-08-02, 01:55 PM
davidf
Visiting Guest
Loose P.S. belt will cause that problem.