Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

brake fluid

Visiting Guest

11-08-02, 05:35 AM   #1  
vega
brake fluid

I just bled my 2 front calipers. I tightened the bleeder screws as tight as I could with a 6" wrench. Fluid is slowly seeping past the exposed threads. Should I try to tighten them more with a longer wrench or socket (am afraid of snapping them). How do they seat - is there a seal down there - dirt - is there any type of seal I can apply to the threads - should I try replacing the bleeder screws?

Sponsored Links

CAL

11-08-02, 09:31 AM   #2  
Replace the bleeder screws and ensure you don't have them cross-threaded. You should not have to "crank" down on these to get them to seal.

Visiting Guest

11-08-02, 01:23 PM   #3  
vega
Originally posted by Trying2Help
[B]Replace the bleeder screws and ensure you don't have them cross-threaded. You should not have to "crank" down on these to get them to seal. [/lkB]
Just ordered new bleeder screws. Will let you know how I make out.......Thanks

Visiting Guest

11-17-02, 04:45 AM   #4  
vega
leaky bleeders

Originally posted by Trying2Help
Replace the bleeder screws and ensure you don't have them cross-threaded. You should not have to "crank" down on these to get them to seal.
For some reason, bleeder screws are 7/16, not 3/8 as according to specs. Maybe rebuilts, bored out bigger. Anyways, had trouble finding replacements at my regular pts stores, so I took them out and cleaned them up good and everything is now fine.

Thanks.

Search this Thread