Auto. Trans. Bucking.

Old 11-08-02, 08:00 AM
Lina6262
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Auto. Trans. Bucking.

97 Jeep Gr Cher 4.0L, check engine light would come on once a week and go off a few days later. No recognizable problem. THen the other day it bucked for a few minutes, put it in neutral to prevent stalling. check engine light came on, put problem is gone. I have a long crank time, and oil pressure fluctuates within quite a few notches. Fuel pump replaced last year, battery, belt, air filter and plugs replaced a few months ago. Do I need to have my fuel inj cleaned, or should I have someone check the trouble codes on the OBD? Thanks fo your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-02, 08:26 AM
tstokka
Visiting Guest
start with getting the codes read. It will tell you what the problem was, and what you would need to do to fix it.

Old 11-08-02, 03:59 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Go to any Autozone and they will pull the codes for free.

Tell us what they find.

Old 11-18-02, 07:33 AM
Lina6262
Visiting Guest
Unhappy No Codes

I had my obd checked for codes, none showed up and the check engine light was still on. Had the plug wires, distributor cap and rotor changed, and it happened again. It gets close to stalling, lights dim and the idle is almost flat, then pops back up and tells me to check the battery and problem goes away. Can I rule out fuel system if this only happens during rainy weather and doesn't happen all the time? I also found a minor oil leak from my heads, could this be the culprit? Thanks for your help!

Old 11-18-02, 09:50 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
See my post "The Basics" for how to check your alternator output. Sounds like a charging system issue.

Old 11-25-02, 11:36 AM
Lina6262
Visiting Guest
Final Answer!!

Got my head gasket replaced, and when they drove it to test it out, the problem came back! They replaced an oxygen sensor. The mystery is unraveled. Thanks so much for your help!