won't shift out of park

Old 11-08-02, 08:44 AM
frederick63
Visiting Guest
Question won't shift out of park

hi. I've got a 95 chevy camaro that won't shift out of park in the morning without major force to get the shift button down. Car is parked on slight incline, but it's held by parking brake which is applied before shifting from drive to park prior to problem. And yes brake pedal is applied before shift attempt. any ideas on how to fix this one?
thanks,
--fred

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-02, 02:03 PM
davidf
Visiting Guest
To park on an incline properly so you have that problem,engage parking brake first then put transmission in park .This way there is no force on the transmission because the parking brake is on before the transmission is engaged in park.Reverse proceedure puts force on flywheel because transmission is meshed to it.Bad for flywheel and transmission especially on an encline.

Old 11-08-02, 02:05 PM
bigpoppax2
Visiting Guest
Just one thing to try, it should work. When you stop, keep your foot on the brakes, shift into neutral, then apply the parking brake, let off of the brake. Make sure the brake is on tight enough to hold said Chebby. Then shift into park. All of the weight should now be on the parking brakes, not the park gear in the tranny. I always do this, even when not on a steep incline.

You have to put the brakes on with it in neutral then let off of the foot brake, so that the weight is put on the parking brake. Then shift into park.

Old 11-08-02, 03:33 PM
davidf
Visiting Guest
Thanks Bigpoxpax2 for clarifying the parking procedure.I was just about to add what you added to the proceedure 'til I saw your post. I Thought about it in the beginning but forgot.

Old 11-08-02, 08:46 PM
frederick63
Visiting Guest
thanks to the two of you--already tested it out and no problems shifting--much gratitude for prompt accurate answers.
--fred

Old 11-21-02, 08:35 AM
frederick63
Visiting Guest
Question need alternative solution?

hello again, false success with shifter problem. I've tried all suggestions with no success--when the car sits overnight.
works fine when I try it five minutes or a few hours after parking, but not in the morning. Seems to be getting worse--a real struggle this morn. Could it be that even though I'm pressing the brake, as required, somehow that is failing to allow shifter to unlock because of incline, electrical problem, cooler weather? Jeez this one baffles me!
Any suggestions?
And yes, I've methodically tried suggested strategy after parking . . . 1) pressing brake, 2) shifting to neutral 3) firmly applying parking brake (making sure it holds after releasing brake pedal) 4) shifting to park 5) in morn. attempting to shift before parking brake released.
When it does finally shift out of park in the morn.--there's no audible sound or mechanical "click" that normally occurrs when this sort of problem "on an incline" shows up with previous models in similar situations. Almost seems like it has to warm up or the brakes have to think about releasing the shifter--most peculiar.

Old 11-21-02, 09:30 AM
I have seen coffee or soda spilled on and down through the shifter making the shift inter-lock sticky at times. Will cause problems when cold and free up when it warms a little.

When you can't move the shifter does the brake lites work?

Larry

Old 11-21-02, 09:38 AM
frederick63
Visiting Guest
hi larry. thanks for quick response.
yes, brake lights are tested and working at time of malfunction--yes i was hoping it was that too!
nothing spilled that i know of--but will interrogate girlfriend on matter.
should i spray some wd-40 or silicone into shifter?
also, it's the button on top of shifter handle that won't go down that prevents shifting--once it's down, shift operates fine, if that matters.
?

Old 11-21-02, 09:41 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Do not put excess lubricant into the shifter, it will attract more dirt.

Check alldata.com for any known bulletins on this problem with this vehicle.

Old 11-21-02, 09:44 AM
The only thing that will break down sugar based product is water.

That button isn't going down because of shift lock malfunction...either mechanical or electrical

Larry