weak power window

Old 11-08-02, 08:33 AM
frederick63
Visiting Guest
Question weak power window

hi. I've got a weak driver side power window on a 95 chevy camaro. It works smoothly, a few inches at a time, requiring several minutes between activations, to go up or down. Can I assume I need a new motor? If so, discount auto parts will sell me one for about $60--should I attempt installation (with moderate experience, tools available, electrical tester etc.)? And given my haynes manual doesn't detail out window motor removal/installation, are other resources available online or elsewhere to help me with particulars of this model?
thanks in advance for any answers or suggestions.
--fred

Old 11-08-02, 02:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
The procedure is available at this link:

http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual%...delLookup.html

Copy the entire url into your browser address block.

Window motors aren't terribly difficult, but they can be a pain in the butt. Joe Cool should be along to give specifics; he's the GM wiz.

Old 11-08-02, 02:32 PM
bigpoppax2
Visiting Guest
First, I would get the door panel off and check to see that you are getting a full 12 volts to your motor before you go buy anything, it could be in your wiring.

Next, I would take the motor loose from the window and see how free the window moves up and down in the track, it may need lubricated, or it could be partially out of the track.

Then if none of the above need attention, then go buy a new motor. Maybe this way we can possibly save you that 60 bucks.

HTH

Old 11-08-02, 03:43 PM
davidf
Visiting Guest
For smooth antenna operation ,wax the antenna length with wax paper from time to time.Keeps it shiny,water resistant and easy to whip up and down.

Old 11-08-02, 03:44 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with both of these guys.

Power window motor service is more than an average job. Most times the regulator and the motor come out as a unit from the door and you have to drill out the rivets, replacing them with bolts on the new motor.

Not fun.

Might bail out and have a shop handle this one if the motor is indeed your problem.

Old 11-08-02, 09:08 PM
frederick63
Visiting Guest
thank you gentlemen
I will explore, based on your advice, and report back.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: