Hesitation 1992 Chrysler 5th ave

Old 11-09-02, 06:26 AM
marcuumb
Visiting Guest
Hesitation 1992 Chrysler 5th ave

My 1992 Chrysler 5th Ave is starting to hesitate. At highway speeds (65) I will notice that it seems that the engine is not developing power. WHen I push the accelerator, it will hesitate and then produce power. I had a similar problem 1.5 years ago and the mechanic changed the fuel filter and that solved the problem. Would it be normal to have the same problem so soon?

Also, the bill for the filter change was pretty high and the mechanic said it was because of the location of the filter. WOuld this job be something to tackle my self?

Thanks to all!

Brad

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-02, 06:55 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Engine size?

Depending on the mileage, the fuel filter should be changed every year as a maintenance item, not a failure one.

Check autolibrary.org below for the R&R procedures.

Old 11-12-02, 08:05 AM
marcuumb
Visiting Guest
It is a 3.3L. Just located the invoice from the previous repair for the same problem. They replaced the coil pack, plug wires, and spark plugs and the fuel filter. That was about 20,000 ago. Should the coil pack go south so soon. Since my last post, it has gotten worse now with what sounds like backfiring but coming from under the hood. This is the same experience I had last time.

Thanks for helping!

Brad

Old 11-12-02, 04:25 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Could be anything, have to start from square one.

20k on a tuneup is a while, time for the basics again. All filters, plugs, cap, rotor, etc.

Start there. Also have the mechanic pull any trouble codes that may be present (or bring it to Autozone and have them scan it for you for free).

Tell us what they find. If you bring it in, have the fuel pressure checked as well.

Old 11-23-02, 08:03 PM
marcuumb
Visiting Guest
Well it took a while to get around to it, but I took the car to autozone and they found the code for a bad O2 sensor. Bought one for $34 and installed it in about 5 minutes. Problem solved...car runs great. Thanks for the advice.

Brad