Manually pump air

Old 11-09-02, 11:16 AM
dwilson67
Visiting Guest
Question Manually pump air

Is there a way to manual pump air in the air suspension bags on a 1992 Lincoln? Mainly the back to suspension air bags the front has regular shocks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-02, 08:59 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No...this era Lincoln has the airbag suspension system. Expensive, failure prone, poorly designed, typical Ford and not worth bus fare .

You have bad air springs, a wiped compressor, or a leak in a line.

You can convert this system over to Taurus/Sable struts which use convential more reliable parts. A Lincoln Continental is in turn a gussied up Taurus/Sable platform.

It also shares the notorious gasket blowing 3.8 with the Taurus/Sable combo

These vehicles are expensive moneypits, as were the previous rear drive ones from 82 to 87. My coworker pitched his 87 earlier this year, and didn't shed a tear when it went. He virtually gave it away

Old 11-09-02, 10:27 PM
dwilson67
Visiting Guest
no way to manualy pump air into the air bags???

Originally posted by Joe_F
No...this era Lincoln has the airbag suspension system. Expensive, failure prone, poorly designed, typical Ford and not worth bus fare .

You have bad air springs, a wiped compressor, or a leak in a line.

You can convert this system over to Taurus/Sable struts which use convential more reliable parts. A Lincoln Continental is in turn a gussied up Taurus/Sable platform.

It also shares the notorious gasket blowing 3.8 with the Taurus/Sable combo

These vehicles are expensive moneypits, as were the previous rear drive ones from 82 to 87. My coworker pitched his 87 earlier this year, and didn't shed a tear when it went. He virtually gave it away

Old 11-10-02, 08:42 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No . Even if you could, what would be the point?

If the vehicle is drooping, you have a leak and it must be corrected. Or, the system eliminated and Taurus/Sable struts and springs fitted to make it a conventional spring/strut suspension.

If I was into one of these things for the long haul, I'd do the latter. The air suspension system is a troublesome and expensive pitfall on these cars. I see at least 5 a week in the NYC area with drooping front or rear ends.

Most common issues are holes in the rubber air springs (bags)and broken lines.

Old 11-10-02, 03:19 PM
Group Moderator
And the damn things are a serious PITA to tow when the bags are flat!

Old 11-11-02, 10:05 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Which unfortunately, occurs quite often . The bags can rub against suspension members, they dryrot and turn to dust leaving you with the rear or front of the car on the floor (or all four corners)

Old 11-11-02, 05:09 PM
You might try poking around at these 2 sites. Ford's air suspension repair can be close to voodoo.

www.strutmasters.com
www.bagmasterair.com

Old 12-04-02, 03:59 PM
tdee
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

"It also shares the notorious gasket blowing 3.8 with the Taurus/Sable combo

These vehicles are expensive moneypits"

I can relate to this as my 95 Windstar(3.8) has blown head gaskets twice and good old ford has refused to pay one cent. Even tho they advertised they were covered up to 100,000 miles they reneged on their word. Small claims court is the only resort as BBB, consumer affairs , Atty genl all tried to no avail. Because of serious family illness have not been able to do the SC court and have little reason to beleive this would suceed anyway. My advise don't buy Ford.

Old 12-05-02, 05:32 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The head gaskets were only one problem on this car...it's poorly made and has a LOT of suspension problems.

I see countless numbers of these with the front or rear (or both) drooping.

Old 12-05-02, 01:58 PM
I must have missed something!! She states the car has rear air but has regular shocks in the front.If that's so,then it is probably a Town Car and not a Continental.Completely different systems.Not too expensive if it is a town car!!

Old 12-05-02, 04:45 PM
maybe just air shocks

Good catch if she has just air shocks she is in luck. If they are all you need to do is find the scharder valve the same kind that are on your tires.
Look and see if you see a plastic line going into the shock and follow it to the end. Sometimes the line gets messed up and breaks or melts it it touches the exhaust then you will need a new line or just get some new shocks unless you do some towing.
Anyway air shocks are pretty cheap and have been around a long time. I can recall I had them on my 65 dodge coronet years ago and had them fully inflated to raise the rear way up.(not good) but I was a young kid then and you could not tell me anything.

Old 12-05-02, 11:26 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
I agree w/ Fordtech. It sounds like this is a Town Car, not a Continental.

The Town Car uses a rear-only air suspension system. It is much simpler and less trouble prone than the 4 wheel air suspension system used on the Continental.

It is also MUCH cheaper to repair when it breaks. You can also eliminate the system & replace it w/ conventional coil springs & shocks from a like-year Crown Victoria.

Old 12-06-02, 03:18 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

Either way, it's a drooper .

Here in NYC, I see at least five of those Lincolns a week with the rear on the ground with busted air springs. Cars with normal springs are just fine.

However, since the original poster doesn't state which type of Lincoln she has, we're all guessing.

All the more reason to follow the posting rules and guidelines.