Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1990 Chev Cavalier

Visiting Guest

11-09-02, 05:25 PM   #1  
DRLM001
1990 Chev Cavalier

Hi there, I have a 90 Chev Cavalier,3.1 litre 5 speed.Apx.9 months ago i had a new water pump installed by a mechanic.Know today it seems that theres a slow leak in or around the pully again!My question is,Is it common to have a pump go so soon?Are the 3.1's known for this sort of problem?It just seems too soon to be doing this again.It is apx 180.00 CDN to buy it and have it installed. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

11-09-02, 05:41 PM   #2  
I would take it back to the original mechanic for a look-see. Could be something simple like a loose hoose clamp on a heater hose connection. If the pump itself has failed you need to see if the part is warranteed. Not unusual to get a premature failure if it was a low quality part. You may still have to pay for labor to replace it, but you should not have to buy another replacement part unless there is some other reason for the failure (like driving it down the highway at 90 mph low on coolant).

Search this Thread