Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Belt on 93 Grand Cherokee

Visiting Guest

11-10-02, 05:29 AM   #1  
controlpeddler
Belt on 93 Grand Cherokee

got a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a inline 6. have had to replace idler pully(next to A/C) and now can't get belt to go back on. I have followed directions for releasing tension and still I have no movement in P/S pulley. here is what I have done--loosened the two bolts on back of P/S pump and then began turning tensioner bolt located @ bottom of pump counterclockwise. I can't tell that the pulley is moving at all. what do you think?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-10-02, 08:38 AM   #2  
Joe_F
The play in getting a serpentine belt is done by the tensioner, not at any accessory.

Have a look in autolibrary.org that I have bookmarked below.

Visiting Guest

11-10-02, 02:11 PM   #3  
controlpeddler
Need additional info-please. I followed the link and found a diagram of what I needed to release tension on the belt. My problem now is that I can't get the belt to tighten back up. I have followed the instructions but still no luck. On my jeep there isn't a tension pulley--it is done by turning a tension bolt located on the P/S unit. I have loosened all bolts and turned the tension bolt clockwise to tighten but I get nothing. Is there something I am missing or a trick I could use? Thanks for the help.

Group Moderator

FL

11-10-02, 02:48 PM   #4  
If the belt is properly routed, the adjuster is all the way out, and still have slack - wrong belt.

Visiting Guest

11-10-02, 03:08 PM   #5  
controlpeddler
using same belt-- I had to change out a idler pulley and was just putting same belt back on until I could go to parts store tomorrow. is it possible in my dealings with this yesterday --that I backed the tension bolt all the way out and then when I went to put it back in(put tension on belt) that the bolt is actually missing the threads inside the tensioning thingy? Here is the history on the whole ordeal. My book said to loosen 2 bolts on backside of the P/S unit--I did that. then it said to locate the tensioning bolt at the bottom of the P/s unit-I did that. then it said to release tension to turn bolt counter clockwise--i did that for 2 hours(don't laugh) I got nothing--I then went the other direction--I got nothing--I then when the other direction and still nothing. Got frustrated threw down the ratchet and went inside got something to drink--found this forum and Joe gave me a link--followed it and found that there is actually 3 bolts that need to loosen--loosened the 3rd bolt and the unit moved. Put belt on but now can't get it to tighten. My book says to tighten that you would turn bolt clokwise and then once tight--to tighten the other bolts--I haven't got to that step becuase I can tell that the belt is not tight. and the tensioning bolt is all the way turned clockwise--I got no more to give captian.
Thanks for any help--my marriage counts on it.

Visiting Guest

11-10-02, 03:16 PM   #6  
Joe_F
Tighten everything but the tension bearing bolt. Tighten that one last.

Search this Thread