Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

keyless entry

11-10-02, 07:25 AM   #1  
keyless entry

I just would like some opinions on keyless entry.

My husband just bought me a Taurus Wagon (1993) that is all power (windows. locks, etc.). I thought it would be nice to have a keyless entry for when I'm in a parking lot at night and don't want to fumble with keys. I would have it professionally installed, but am curious if it is more trouble than its worth.

A concern of mine is that I would only want it to open the driver door, not all doors. If someone were to be hiding on the other side of the car, I would have just opened their side too. I'm really bad to walk out of the store with my hands full of bags instead of trying to deal with a cart. I'm sure it would be safer for me to use the cart, and have keys in hand when I walk to my car.

One feature I like about the alarm system is the car locator. I'm not the brightest star in the sky, and now that I'm in a small car instead of my big 4wd truck, I lose the car in the parking lot. I don't see the need for an alarm, but is that something that can be installed without an alarm? Fortunately the car is an uncommon color in this area, so its a little easier to find in a lot.

Kay

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-10-02, 08:00 AM   #2  
bigpoppax2
Yes you can have keeyless entry installed witout the alarm. The answer to your other problem (unlocking the doors for the bad guy) is simple. The programming can usually be changed to where you hit the unlock once your driver door is unlocked. Hit it twice and it will unlock all doors, and a third will pop the trunk. I'm sure there are different models that will perform different tasks. I know most factory ford units have different buttons for the doors and the trunk, but I do believe the door locks work as I stated, once for your door twice for all.

You could also look into getting a package deal where you install a remote starter that has the bells and whistles you want like keyless entry. That would be a nice touch, a toasty car in the dead of winter. (You just need to remember to leave your heat on when you get out the night before)

After a quick search:

http://www.commandoalarms.com/itmidx11.htm

This is a remote starter without an alarm. 59.00 bucks, not bad.

The keyless entry by itself is 44.99. I'd spring for the remote starter as well for the extra 15 bucks. Hey I know one thing I'll get my wife for Christmas now.

Also notice this does has two stage unlock (read it works as I stated above) one to unlock your door twice to unlock all of them.

Hope this helps you.

Visiting Guest

11-10-02, 08:31 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Make sure the person doing the install uses a quality system and has a clue what they are doing or you will be unravelling/uninstalling it down the road.

First place to start with an electrical problem is an aftermarket alarm/install. Many are poorly done and subsequently have to be dismantled due to poor performance and problems.

11-10-02, 08:48 AM   #4  
Joe:

That was one of my major concerns: messing with the existing wiring. I don't want problems down the road. Guess I need to start checking around to see has had installs, and what type problems they've encountered.

So far everyone that I've spoken with tells me that they did it themselves. I need to check for those that have had professional installs since there is no way that I would allow just anyone to do it, or try this myself. I had a car alarm installed for my son a few years back since he had all the car audio stuff in there. They did a great job, and we didn't have any problems. However, the car blew a head gasket a year after the install so I'm not sure about how the long term deal would have been. (We traded the car for a set of tires for my car LOL).

Kay

Search this Thread