Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

trouble codes 96 jeep 4.0 litre

Visiting Guest

11-10-02, 08:10 PM   #1  
JasonR73
trouble codes 96 jeep 4.0 litre

This weekend I replaced a leaking water pump on my 1996 jeep cherokee 4 litre I6. Now the check engine light comes on. I checked the codes by turning the ignition on and off a few times. Says code 12, 22, 42. 12 says voltage to PCM disconnected (I have no idea how this happend, what it means, or how to fix it). Code 22 has to do with the coolant temperature sensor (probably because i disconnected it when changing the water pump). Code 42, automatic shutdown relay or contriol circuit (the haynes manual says with this code the vehicle has to be professionally serviced). What gives? I'm sure this all has to do with changing the water pump and disconnecting the temp sensor. Will clearing the codes work? Should I bring it to the shop like the haynes maual says? My guess is that the repair shop will clear the codes and charge me a few hundred dollars. How do I clear the codes? The haynes manual says to never attempt to clear the codes by disconnecting the battery.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-11-02, 03:49 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Any Autozone will run a code check and can clear the codes for you. They do not charge for this service.

Do that and see what happens.

Visiting Guest

11-12-02, 09:18 PM   #3  
JasonR73
Thanks. Autozone cleared the codes...no problems. It is strange that the 3 different codes came up, but again probably just from disconnection the coolant sensor.

Saved me money having autozone clear the code as opposed to a repair shop...they've got my future business.

Search this Thread