Won't start again...

Old 11-11-02, 08:31 AM
Dovetail
Visiting Guest
Won't start again...

I have a 1987 Jeep Commache, 4 wheel drive, automatic, 4.0 liter in line 6 cyl., 140,000 miles.
The truck wouldn't start. I replaced the ignition coil, rotor, fuel filter and distributor cap. The truck started and ran just great. I went to start it after moving it 100 feet to wash it and now it won't start again. I can hear the fuel pump come on. There's over 1/4 tank of fuel. The truck sounds like it wants to turn over but just can't. The battery is 2 years old.
What can I try next?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-02, 09:46 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Start by looking in the links and posts in my signature file below.

Old 11-11-02, 01:38 PM
davidf
Visiting Guest
Tighten your battery connections every year at this time of the year when cold weather sets in.They loosen up when the weather goes from hot to cold .Tighten connections on starter also.

Old 11-11-02, 05:12 PM
Check to see if you are getting spark when it turns over.

Old 11-12-02, 07:38 AM
Dovetail
Visiting Guest
Won't start again..

The connections to the battery were tightened. I checked for spark and had it after changing the distributor last of all the other things I replaced. I had spark, drove 100 feet to wash the truck and now it won't start. I don't have spark again. The inside of the distributor cap looks fine, no burn marks or obscure things. I will try to tighten the starter connections next. Do I need to replace the distributor again or is it something else?

Old 11-12-02, 01:35 PM
davidf
Visiting Guest
Did you spray water in the engine compartment to clean it like I do but I take care not to spray the electrics.

Old 11-14-02, 01:44 PM
Dovetail
Visiting Guest
No water in the engine. I have tried again and no start. I looked for spark and no spark. The distributor is new with maybe 100 feet of travel in it. Still not sure what to do next.

Old 11-14-02, 03:56 PM
davidf
Visiting Guest
The center spark plug cable on the distrib. cap is really inportant because it supplies spark to all the other sparkplug.Make sure it is pushed in all the way on the distrib. cap and the other end on the ignition coil.You might have dammaged this cable so remove that cable and check it.Maybe it is intermittent so when you moved the truck, it moved and stop working.Wiggle it and see if you get a spark and if not,take it off and check it.

Old 11-14-02, 10:10 PM
I'm not famalier with your particular engine set up but does your engine have a Crankshaft Position Sensor? When they go bad you loose spark. Cut and paste this link for some more diagnostic info.
http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Chilton%20Manuals/9107m/9107ch02_idx.html

Old 11-15-02, 10:15 AM
I'm thinking also that you might need to find "top dead center" on your distributor. Did you install the distributor yourself or had a mechanic do it? The thing is real tricky to do, and finding top dead center is crucial when you start. Did you match the new distr. to the positioning of the old one exactly?