Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

no start on 94 Grand Cherokee

Visiting Guest

11-11-02, 05:43 PM   #1  
rljsmith2001
no start on 94 Grand Cherokee

I am working on a 94 Grand Cherokee with a 5.2 (318) and an auto trans. The vehicle would quit and then not start. The first time I did not have any fuel pressure showing on the fuel gauge hooked up to the rail but I had spark. I changed the fuel pump and it ran for about 3 weeks. When I checked it this time I had fuel pressure (39 psi) at the rail but no spark. I checked the inputs to the coil, I had them, the coil fins were split. I changed the coil and again it ran for about a week. This time no fuel or spark. I hooked up a scan tool and found no rpm input. I followed the diagnostics and changed the crank sensor. It started fine but it quit 2 days later. I haven't looked at it since, kinda disgusted and not sure where to go next. Kinda thought maybe it could be a PCM, but not quite sure. There are no stored codes in the PCM and when it is running it runs fine. Has anyone come across this problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-12-02, 04:18 AM   #2  
Keithar
I havent come across this in a Jeep before but I have in chevys.
there is most likely a short in the ECM or Prom sys. that is heating the ECM up and shorting out key systems.
I would recommend an ECM swap out.Try a used one from a wreckers if you can find one.

Visiting Guest

11-12-02, 04:58 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Have the computer sent out to a local parts store's electronics supplier for testing. See what that reveals.

It is cheaper and more effective than buying a PCM only to find out it's not the problem.

Search this Thread