Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

MuchO problems.

Visiting Guest

11-12-02, 03:05 PM   #1  
Guitarman500
MuchO problems.

Hi, I got a A bunch Of Questions here.

My Car : 1988 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale. 3.8L V6.

1. i Bleed The Brakes and Now When i Drive After about 20 feet my Brakes(or what i think is the brakes) Start to Sqeel even when im not braking, Its a Very loud Metal to metal Grinding sound.

2. When i start my engine , Theres a Weird Hissing sound, Like Theres A Tube Spraying air somewhere. its Back Toward The "Trans Fluid" Dipstick but i can't figuere out what it is, Also My A/C no Longer Works After i put the "Used" transmission in.

3. I Got a used Transmission From a Yard, and it seem's to work fine, except for when i hit around 20 - 25 mph it Makes a light bump , As if its Shifting. Do i Need to Adjust my modulator or What? oh And I Put 6 Quarts of transfluid instead of 6 1/2 (should i add more?).
The Transmission is From a Cadillac

Thanks Alot

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-12-02, 04:09 PM   #2  
davidf
Hissing noise could be a disconnected vacuum hose, or your air cleaner cover is loose.Besides the grinding noise,are your brakes working normally?

Visiting Guest

11-12-02, 04:12 PM   #3  
Joe_F
Issue #1: Sounds like worn brake pads.

Issue #2: Loose, cracked or misrouted vacuum or air intake hose.
A/C likely has a leak.

Issue #3: Possible internal failure of the tranny. Junkyard units are not reliable and may be as worn as what you take out . The THM440T4 used in this vehicle is not the bastion of quality...lots of problems with those

Visiting Guest

11-12-02, 04:36 PM   #4  
Guitarman500
Yes The Brakes Work normally, And The Transmission Was From a Yard, but got Rebuilt.

Visiting Guest

11-12-02, 05:32 PM   #5  
Joe_F
Metal on metal grinding is usually a sign of the feelers scraping the rotor...that is the pads are worn out and it's time to change them..

LA

11-12-02, 10:21 PM   #6  
If you have a brake caliper that is not releasing properly, it will cause a "quiet" squeal on the offending wheel.

What do you mean by your A/C not working? Is it not blowing or not cooling, vents won't switch or what???
If hissing noise close to firewall is vacuum line, you have probably lost your vent controls due to that.

Visiting Guest

11-13-02, 11:16 AM   #7  
Guitarman500
No Air Comes out of the Vents, I Can Hear It but i Can't Feel it coming from the vents.

Visiting Guest

11-13-02, 12:52 PM   #8  
Joe_F
Look and listen for splits in the vacuum lines up near the area you heard it from. Check all the hoses closely.

That is the likely cause of the no vent issue There's a vacuum line off somewhere, which would cause the hissing too.

Visiting Guest

11-13-02, 03:09 PM   #9  
Guitarman500
It Was Both The Air-conditioning Tubes/ vacuum lines Thanks 4 Your Help

Search this Thread