Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

aftermarket temp guage 96 jeep 4litre

Visiting Guest

11-12-02, 09:13 PM   #1  
JasonR73
aftermarket temp guage 96 jeep 4litre

96 cherokee 4 litre

I have discovered the dummy light for the coolant temperature is out. Instead of fixing the light I want to replace the sensor with a temperature guage. I have been looking for them at the auto part stores....aftermarket guages have probes that are larger than the existing hole in the cylinder head.

Any suggestions as to who makes aftermarket water temp guages that will fit a 96 4 litre jeep engine?

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-13-02, 12:06 AM   #2  
knuckles
The Jeep 4.0L uses a 1/8" NPT hole in the back of the cylinder head for the idiot light temp switch. I've not seen a mechanical gauge with a temperature probe small enough to fit in to the Jeep cylinder head.

You have 2 options:

1. Find an electric temp gauge that uses a small (1/8" NPT) sending unit.

2. Mechanical gauge.

Go to the hardware store & buy some brass adapters and close nipples to increase the size & depth of the available hole. You'll need an 1/8" close nipple, a 1/8" X 1/4" bell shaped reducer, a 1/4" close nipple and a 1/4" NPT coupling.

Thread the coupling on the the 1/4" nipple, the nipple to the reducer, the reducer to the 1/8" nipple & the 1/8" nipple to the cylinder head. Thread the gauge probe in to the 1/4 coupling.

Option #1 is preferred. Option 2 will work, but the probe will not be immersed in FLOWING coolant, so the gauge will be slow to respond. A slow-reacting temp. gauge is not very useful.

Visiting Guest

11-13-02, 04:54 AM   #3  
Joe_F
You've got to love Chrysler for putting like 3 out of 4 gauges and the rest idiot lights.

Lol. My friend's base 1991 Shadow has all gauges but tach and oil pressure. Go figure.

(Gotta love the Pontiac Trans Am---always came with full gauges ).

Search this Thread