Transmission, 1992 Lincoln Towncar

Old 11-13-02, 11:07 AM
megaQ
Visiting Guest
Transmission, 1992 Lincoln Towncar

Everything was working fine when I pulled into the parking slot but when I selected "R" nothing happened. Works fine in all fwd gears, shifts fine. Local lincoln dealer estimates $1100 for full tranny overhaul with 12mo/12k warranty. Ballpark??? Thanks for locating the EGR sensor

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-02, 12:54 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Mileage? Last time the fluid and filter was changed?

Sounds like internal failure .

Old 11-13-02, 06:25 PM
megaQ
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Transmission

For Joe F:
134,000 (plus) milage and fluid old, old. Shop thinks maybe band broken. Last one they did was over $1100.

Thanks again.

Old 11-13-02, 06:46 PM
Group Moderator
Just for grins you might want to get an estimate from a good independent tranny shop. You may be pleasantly surprised at the difference in price (especially since you're talking about sinking $1100 in an 11 year old car). Keep in mind they could find additional work needed when they open it up, too. Also, many dealers don't do their own tranny work anyway; they farm it out to an independent.

Old 11-13-02, 07:15 PM
I agree with Tow Guy might be cheaper at an independent,if they find broken hard parts,1100 will be a low estimate.

Old 11-13-02, 09:01 PM
Also check with the Ford parts counter as they have a rebuilt tranny program and at one time had some factory rebuilds available with a 2 year warranty. Sometimes the price of the factory rebuild also includes R&R.

Old 11-14-02, 03:53 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Tranny sounds finished .

I agree with Stevo. An FQR (Ford) rebuilt is the way to go if the car is worth keeping.

Watch out....these 4.6 engines are notorious oil burners . You could sink good money after bad.