Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1988 Astro vibration

Visiting Guest

11-13-02, 11:52 AM   #1  
charlieharlie
1988 Astro vibration

I have a 1988 Astro Van. It seems to run OK, however when I stop, it idles rough and vibrates. It seems to get worse as the engine gets warmer. If I put it in park or neutral it smoothes out. It stops as soon as the accelerator is pressed. I have had several mechanics look at it, there are no codes showing. No one can tell me what is wrong. Please help.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-13-02, 12:51 PM   #2  
Joe_F
It's not likely to be a computer problem.

How are the condition of the motor mounts? Was it checked for vacuum leaks and other mechanical issues?

Time to bring it to someone with a clue .

Visiting Guest

11-15-02, 06:35 AM   #3  
charlieharlie
88 Astro Vibration

The van has been checked by three diffrent mechanics, and no one knows what is wrong. When it is vibrating, if I throw it into neutral or park it stops. It only vibrates when stopped completly, as soon as you let off the brake it stops. I can give it a little gas while stopped and it seems to smooth out some. But who wants to have to brake rev at every light or stop sign. I am totally frusrated.

Visiting Guest

11-15-02, 07:49 AM   #4  
Joe_F
I'll ask it again .

Were the things I mentioned SPECIFICALLY checked? Cannot guess

Visiting Guest

11-15-02, 08:03 AM   #5  
charlieharlie
88 Astro

The engine has been checked, for vacuum leaks and other problems. The motor mounts have also been checked to the best of my knowledge. Thank you.

Visiting Guest

11-15-02, 11:41 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Have you tried bringing to the GM dealer? What have they had to say.

What has been checked by all these mechanics?

11-15-02, 12:04 PM   #7  
I'd have to agree with Joe on this, i'd check the mounts,transmission mount too.If you can get it to do this at will,then a good shop should be able to duplicate it also while it's in the shop.While one tech is doing this another is checking over the vehicle to see what the concern is.If it's engine related then they could duplicate while it hooked up to an engine analylizer and see the problem.

11-15-02, 03:08 PM   #8  
Not to beat a dead horse but I would also check the mounts closely and other engine/trans components for frame contact.I was working on a GMC Jimmy with the same complaint,I now have another Craftsman phillips screwdriver which I removed from the space between the exhaust manifold and frame.

Search this Thread