Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Fuel Leak

Visiting Guest

11-14-02, 08:23 AM   #1  
zed101
Fuel Leak

I have a 1989 Ford Crown Victoria, 302 V-8 with aod transmission. First problem tranmission only shifts once, at 25mph (only). The second problem is that now there is fuel leaking from somewhere behind the motor and draining down by the started. Could not find the source! Any suggestions? Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-14-02, 09:14 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Mileage? Sounds like internal failure of the tranny. Change the fluid and filter. If that doesn't help, rebuild time .

On the fuel leak, check the lines closely for chaffing or abrasion. Rectify that immediately...a fire could result.

11-15-02, 11:33 AM   #3  
On your transmission problem make sure your shift cable(linkage)is attached to the throttle lever.A lot of times the clip falls out and you can see the linkage just lying there close to the intake.You might have to remove your air breather box hose to see it.
As far as the fuel leak you'll just have to look for it more closely.I have at times layed upon the upper intake and taken a small flashlight to look between the firewall and the upper intake plentum(Hard to see behind it!!).

11-16-02, 08:00 PM   #4  
The throttle valve pressure cable that attaches to the throttle body lever had a recall years ago. The plastic bushing that it snaps into on the throttle body would fall out, I believe they replaced them with a bronze bushing. This cable is critical for transmission shifting.
TSB# 93B31 DEC 93 Campaign - Throttle Lever Grommet Replacement

Search this Thread